Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Another Weekend

I am tired, sleepy and in serious need for a good soul massage.

It all started early last week when we woke up to find that Baby M (my 9 month old baby girl) had a bit of a temperature. So, I skipped work, took Baby M to her physician and spent the whole day with her at home. The doctor said she wasn’t feeling well because she is teething, hence, her immune system is on the down side.

Baby's nose was also blocked and the doctor prescribed nose drops. So, got the prescription and want to pick up her medication. When I reached home, I discovered that the pharmacist gave me nasal spray for adults, not the prescribed infant one. So, I called the pharmacy, and phone bullied the guy a bit. He quickly admitted his mistake and sent his driver to replace the medicine in an hour.

Two days and two sleep-deprived nights later, Baby M started feeling better and we were looking forward for the upcoming weekend. We had plans to catch up with some old friend, maybe go back to our regular Friday brunch routine and chill out with more friends on Saturday noon.

Around mid-day Thursday, got a call from a couple who wanted to catch up with us. We haven't seen them in a while as well, so we ended up spending the evening in an outdoor coffee shop in Jumeirah, which wasn't bad.

On Friday, our plan to have brunch with friends was foiled by Baby M who decided to spend the night before jumping up and down with both excitement and resistance to sleep, needless to say neither me or her mom got any sleep.

Never the less, we were determined to have our Friday lunch out. After all, we deserve it after the crazy week we had. Also, we bought Baby M a brand new stroller and wanted to see it in action.

So, took the girls and head to have sea food at Sammach in Jumeira. As expected on any late Friday noon, the place was packed and we waited about 30 minutes for a table.

Our name was called and were granted a table. We made our orders and waited in anticipation for the good seafood to arrive. The minute the first appetizer plate reached the table, Baby M threw up and soaked her cute Baby Gap Denim dress and her new stroller.

I used up a complete roll of kitchen towels to dry the stroller and clean up the mess baby M made on the floor, chairs and table. Her mother took her to the bathroom to clean up and change. I spent 20 minutes on the table alone, waiting for my wife and baby to rejoin me, watching our calamari, fried shrimp and Hammour getting colder and avoiding the envois, partially-evil looks from people standing on the side and waiting for their tables.

The girls finally rejoined me for what I was hoping to be an interrupted lunch no more. Five minutes later, a stench started filling air. And no, it wasn’t a fishy smell and it was awkwardly familiar. It didn't take us very long to notice the big, happy smile-of-relief on Baby M's face. Yep, she did it - and i can easily say that the deed deserved an honorable mention in the “poop of the year” awards, if there was any.

Again, Mrs. M and baby M disappeared into the ladies room to freshen up and I, once more, was staring nibbling on cold and barely touched seafood. When the girls came back, Baby M was restless and wanted to play.

We couldn't put her back in her soaked stroller and she hates high-chairs. So, I decided to carry her and walk around the restaurant to give her mother a chance to finish her food. Mrs M abruptly finished, we paid and head home at 5pm marking the end of our weekend Friday.

Next morning, and to try to make up for a semi-screwed weekend, I decided to do Mrs. M fresh breakfast. Scrambled eggs with red cheddar cheese, hash browns with sweet paprika, seasoned grilled sweet onions and cold-cut turkey salad (ran out of sausages) - next to juice and partially grilled brown toast. It was good.

We hung around home, played with Baby M and watched some TV. By 4pm we were hungry again, grilled a few burgers and fries and got ready to go visit my father-in-law in the hospital.

After the visit, we realized the Baby M was indoors for a very long time this week a walk around can be good to her recovery, besides she is feeling better after all. So, we headed to Mall of the Emirates and wondered around for a couple of hours. But Mrs. M wasn’t feeling very well and we decided head home early as well.

To be honest, I didn’t mind going back early. As a matter of fact, I was in a way happy that this weekend is over. Baby M felt better and I was looking forward for an early night sleep. After all, we didn’t sleep at all this week and I do have a busy few days coming up at work.

At around 1:30 am, Mrs. M woke me up telling me she was suffering from severe abdomen pains. Apparently, she threw up about 4 times and I was so knocked out in didn’t hear her when she was in the bathroom. I told her it must me something she ate (though we did eat the same things and I was fine). I told her that now her stomach was empty, she should feel better.

30 minutes later, she was still in pain. I got up, reached for the car keys, wallet and in less then 5 minutes we were on our way to the hospital. We reached the ER entrance of Welcare hospital and they got Mrs. M in.
The doctor said that they have to admit her for the night to keep her under observation, have a few blood tests and Sonar scans – which can’t be done until the Sonar technicians arrive in the morning.

So, I told Mrs. M that I will head back home, change, check on Baby M and make sure her Nanny looks after her in case we are late. And since it was about 4 AM, I changed into work clothes, picked up a few things to Mrs. M, mobile charger, laptop, iPod and my work badge in case I had to leave to work straight from the hospital.

The nurses gave Mrs. M 3 or 4 different shots to ease the cramps and help her sleep. We were admitted in a private room (thank god one was available). I really needed to sleep and there one couch there was a cold leather 2 seater. I was in work cloths, and nurses came in every hour to check on blood pressure, replace serum and administer medication.

I was really tired.

Anyhow, at around 7:30ish in the morning, we were told to get ready for the Sonar session. The session was rescheduled to 10:30. Bare in mind my wife and I had nothing to eat or drink because my wife has to do a Sonar scan and as for I, well, I couldn’t eat or drink while knowing how hungry and thirsty she was.

Anyhow, mother in law came by at around 5 am and left 1 hour later because she had to get back to my father in law who is staying in another hospital. As for Baby M, thank god she woke up late and was in a good mood this morning.

Things at work were going crazy and I was on remote fire fighting mode. Sadly, I had to do it without any proper sleep, food or drink and with a clearly messed up mind.

So, we did the sonar at around 11 and the doctor supervising my wife’s case decided to disappear. By then, Mrs. M was feeling a bit better, though very thirty and hungry because of the Sonar fast. Finally, the nurse came telling us that Mrs. M will have a liquid meal (soup, juice and some plain tea) and mentioned that there was a chance that Mrs. M might spend another night in the hospital.

By then, Mother-in-law picked up Baby M and her nanny, took them to her house and will come back by the hospital. While things at work were going from bad to crazy, Mrs. M told me that she feels a lot better and that I can leave to the office if I want to.

I didn’t really want to leave, as a matter of fact, I didn’t have the energy to stand up, let alone driving all the way from Garhoud all the way to Jabal Ali Area. But I did anyway.

Ironically, the minute I reached the office and while I was looking for a parking lot, I got a call from Mrs. M saying that she was being discharged and whether I will come back home. I told her I will, after a talk to a couple of people in the office.

You see, every dark cloud must have a silver lining. There was a golden opportunity not to be missed here.

What can I do to make sure everyone that matters in the office knows that although I felt like crap, looked like a zombie-work-in-progress, spent the entire night in beside my ill wife in cold hospital room and left my 9 month old daughter alone with her nanny (she wasn’t really, but it added more drama), I chose to come to work. Yes, I am that loyal.

There was one glitch in my master-suck-up plan. The entire management team was in an off site training session outside the office.



  • Ah, the joys of bringing up baby.

    Hope both Lady and Baby M are feeling better now, it really blows to have to juggle all those concurrent calamities. Times like that you should have taken the day off, really.

    LOL - You should texted a multi part version of this story to the management team - with hourly updates! Bet they were bored anyway at their training thingy...

    By Blogger marwan, at November 13, 2006 at 5:51 AM  

  • Good Idea Marwan! hehe

    I thought the story would end up with a sibling for Baby M on the way.

    By Blogger Harsha, at November 13, 2006 at 9:35 AM  

  • Wow - how much more excitement can you handle? :-)

    Take good care of yourself and that family of yours - remember that a sick Moryarti will be no use to anyone!

    By Blogger nzm, at November 13, 2006 at 11:44 AM  

  • sounds like you need a good hot chocolate, a nice hot bath, and a good 18-hour beauty sleep (:

    By Blogger samuraisam, at November 13, 2006 at 1:26 PM  

  • Aww poor Mory...

    I hope Mrs M and baby M are feeling ok.....

    And may this week be an uneventful one for you :)

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at November 13, 2006 at 2:22 PM  

  • ewwww.. I feel tried after reading the whole dilemma, I can't imagine how cranky you must have felt..

    I hope Mrs. and Baby M are ok now...

    Wait till Baby M makes her fist moves... you will have more things to worry about...

    By Blogger Restless in Dubai, at November 13, 2006 at 2:37 PM  

  • All that drama is why we have a maid.

    Just kidding :-)

    By Blogger Jassim, at November 13, 2006 at 2:41 PM  

  • Hala Moryarti! Salaamat baby M and el zawjah! Take it easy, you're a man not a machine, remember that.

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at November 13, 2006 at 5:13 PM  

  • OH my...

    So sorry to hear about your last week, as they say when it rains it pours.

    Hope everyone is feeing much better now.

    By Blogger CG, at November 13, 2006 at 8:57 PM  

  • Aww! I hope the m& m's are feeling better.
    Poor Baby M, teething is nasty. Gotta always keep Calpol and Tylenol suppositories at home.
    i hope the little malaika feels better. But it will take a bit of time. Give her something to chew on like a frozen lolly. They soothe the gums.(worry about mess and sugar later).
    And poor Mrs.M. It had to be the sea food that must have gotten her so unwell. Cold seafood aint good, and seafood triggers off the worst kind of food poisoning. And yes it can get one person and not the other. Tummy cramps come from rapid dehydration.
    I hope you get some rest and sleep this weekend. because my whole weekend is like a repaet of your.
    Worse still as of saturday morning I am officially an "evacuee", with no home and no place to go to with two kids.

    By Blogger kaya, at November 16, 2006 at 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home