Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Only if you mean it...

I've always taken the "happy new year" wish for granted. Something you automatically say when you talk to someone, or add in your emails or SMS's starting the last week of December and almost halfway till mid Jan.

I don't think i will anymore. Not after 2008.

Jan 2nd started with the sudden death of a really close friend of mine. He was in his late 30s, successful, loves life and armed with a sense of humor thats one of a kind. I had dinner with him few weeks ago. We were supposed to have breakfast in my place when he comes back home from his travels. I never thought that that would be our last dinner ever.

I will miss him.

I was still in shock by the loss of my friend when few hours ago, my brother SMSed me saying that my grandfather passed away in his sleep today. I haven't seen Jeddo since 2002. This year, I saw him for a few hours. He met my wife and daughter for the first time. He was a wonderful wonderful man.

I don't know what to say really... One thing i know for sure, if you are wishing me a happy new year, i hope you mean it.

Rest in peace Sofian

Rest in peace Jeddo

11 Comments:

  • I refrained from wishing you and Mrs M a Happy New Year when I read on Facebook that you had lost your dear friend - and now your grandfather too. :-(

    Instead I will wish that this is the last sadness that you will experience for 2008 and wish for more laughter and joy to come your way for the rest of the year.

    Both J and I are thinking of you and send lots of love your way.

    By Blogger nzm, at January 4, 2008 at 1:02 AM  

  • I didn't personally know Sufian, but a lot of people I know did, and everyone is shocked.

    Allah yer7am il jamee3.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 4, 2008 at 1:43 AM  

  • Allay yirham eljamee3....and inshallah the rest of 2008 will be filled with joy and happiness for you and your family....

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at January 4, 2008 at 3:04 AM  

  • Allah yer7amon : (

    Al ba'eh be 7ayatek Mory…

    By Blogger Dubai Jazz, at January 4, 2008 at 5:14 AM  

  • 3atham Allah ajrakom my friend. I can only dedicate my prayers for you to find the peace you need in this time.

    By Blogger KJ, at January 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM  

  • i'm very sorry to hear about these deaths.. allah yir7amhom ajma3een wo ni7na ma3ahm.. god bless you moryarti and may you find peace and happiness very soon inshalla. have a bit of faith. life has positives and negatives as you're surely aware.

    By Blogger BuJ, at January 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM  

  • Sorry to hear this, my condolences. And I wish you a lifetime of prosperity, and I mean it. As for tragedies, one can’t avoid them no matter what one wishes, C'est la vie. But one can wish you a long life of happiness with the utmost strength to deal with life’s tragedies. And one can wish that you make the best of your life before it’s over for you as well.
    I do not believe in NY resolutions, and the greetings only reminds me that another year is born and I’m still alive. And I’m grateful for that.
    I wish you health, I wish you love, I wish wealth, not only for 2008, but for life.

    By Blogger AyyA, at January 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

  • I'm sorry to hear the year has started out so bad for you.

    IL

    By Blogger Impala Lily, at January 14, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

  • I really don't know what to say. I lost my father on jan 2nd as well. and the void i'm feeling now is something i just can't describe. I can't imagine how my mother feels, they were together 42 years.
    yes i agree, there's nothing good about 2008 so far... at least i don't see it

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

  • may they rest in peace, m.

    There isn't much one can do, or say, to reconcile oneself with the brevity of life. Sadly enough.

    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    By Blogger Yazan, at January 22, 2008 at 8:10 PM  

  • You have been tagged Professore.
    Happy New year too.

    By Blogger *, at February 18, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home