Dubai Consumer Mirror

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Serendipity and stuff

One day on my way back home from work, I stopped at a petrol station. While my car was being filled up, I decided to walk to the minimart. "I don't really feel like anything," i told my friend who i was dropping home along the way, "I am just gonna go the to minimart, not sure why." I honestly didn't need anything. I wasn't thirsty nor hungry. I just felt like walking to the minimart.

On the way, I spotted a white puppy around the minimart's corner. Now me being a "cat person", i went like "here doggie, doggie .. " The puppy gave me a funny look, wiggled its tail for a second and scurried away under a parked car nearby. I noticed the poor thing was shivering. It was a cold windy day.

I turned away and walked into the mart, looked around the store and picked up a small bottle of water. The cashier lady asked if I'd like to take the dog with me because they are not allowed to have pets and -most probably- Sharjah municipality will end up treating the dog their way. I paid the lady for the water and told her 'sorry, but i can't take the dog'.

Got into my car and told my friend about the dog. He was like, "those K9 friends guys are located here in Sharjah - we can call em".

Better then, lets just take the puppy over to them, i said.

I pulled over next to the mart and started looking for the puppy. Somehow, the dog found us and run in our direction jumping around in playful excitement. I held up the puppy, she (as i noticed) could not be older then 3 or 4 weeks. She looked like a mixed breed.. she was clean, very cold but very cute :)

I placed her back on the ground and opened the back door of my car. It was as if she read our minds and jumped right into the backseat and rested calmly on the floor. We drove off and started calling our friends for directions to the K9 Friends joint.

I was a bit worried of her going crazy and tearing up the back seat, especially while i am trying to avoid those maniacs on the wacky streets of Sharjah's industrial areas. Instead, she was soo quiet, she didn't make a single sound. She even slept for a while.

Anyhow, we reached the place and called the guy to come out to check the puppy in the car.

"I know this type. Local dog"
"umm.. a street dog, you mean" (I couldn't resist hiding my giggle..)
"Yes, yes... I can take dog. But you know this is charity... you can give something"
"Yeah.. sure, is there like a rate card ... or something?" (rate card? what was i thinking?)
"anything sir .. you know this is charity"

I handed him a hundred dirhams and said goodbye to the puppy who seemed very happy to be there.

On the way back, me and my friend were only thinking of one thing: the way I felt compelled to walk to the minimart, though I did not have any reason to do so.

Whatever the reason was, I am glad we took her off the streets.



13 Comments:

  • awww what a cute doggy

    Now I miss my little jack russel terrier /:

    Only difference is my dog eats municipality workers /:

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 at 12:42 AM  

  • samuraisam made the above comment and this comment, blogspot is being annoying, either that or my modem is /:

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 at 1:00 AM  

  • What a beautiful story, got me all teary eyed. lol

    Well sometimes we are driven by things perhaps greater than ourselves.

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at March 15, 2006 at 3:13 AM  

  • That's a great thing that you did, buddy - good on you.

    By Blogger nzm, at March 15, 2006 at 3:31 AM  

  • awwwwwwwwwww! i want doggy too!!

    By Blogger Harsha, at March 15, 2006 at 9:16 AM  

  • Yeah, it really does look like a Jack Russel Terrier. Very cute.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 15, 2006 at 10:36 AM  

  • moryarti.. very well said.. also very nice story.. poor doggy.. glad u saved it :)

    also lol @ hannibal's second comment.. i guess someone had to say it

    By Blogger BuJ, at March 15, 2006 at 12:42 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Harsha, at March 15, 2006 at 2:48 PM  

  • Somehow 2 'men' seemed to comment on that :o)

    By Blogger Harsha, at March 15, 2006 at 2:48 PM  

  • You did the right thing, we're proud of you :-)

    By Blogger Seabee, at March 15, 2006 at 5:07 PM  

  • thanks everyone ... i think what counts here, besides finding a home for that puppy, is that there is always a reason/purpose behind each and every thing we do, no matter how sensless it may seem.

    Besides, it was really very difficult to resist those big black eyes :P

    By Blogger moryarti, at March 15, 2006 at 5:22 PM  

  • That puppy is adorable and I love how there is always a reason or explanation for our actions.

    We might not always get the answers to why things happen, but it's comforting to know that our actions may resound somewhere, even if that echo is beyond what we see.

    By Blogger sky, at March 15, 2006 at 7:06 PM  

  • Hi,

    God bless you for the kind deed. My heart melst for the sweet lil puppy - oh those eyes!

    Everything was happening according to a Plan ;-)

    Life presents us with opportunities to do good. Some of us take these up, some of us walk away or sometimes don't even see the opportunity.

    Touching story, really.

    By Blogger Farrukh Naeem, at March 20, 2006 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home