Dubai Consumer Mirror

Monday, March 06, 2006

I can't sleep

Its about 3:30 am now and i can't get myself to close my eyes. I had a nasty dream that i can't remember most of it. I think I should've passed on the Popeye's Golden Meal Special that I had for dinner last night.

I couldn't help it. My breakfast, lunch and dinner time-frames have been overhauled to adapt to my 4 weeks old baby-girl sleeping/feeding agenda. Which is OK -i ain't complaining- but again, i do think my sleep deprivation is collateral damage.

I have resigned from my existing job and should be starting a new one in less than 2 weeks from now. Thankfully i am not worried about the new job and what it might entail. The only challenge that i am dreading is the daily drive to/from Dubai Internet City... I don't think i mentioned that i live next to Al Taawon mall in Sharjah. I once left my house at 7:30, i made it to DIC by 10am. A trip that shouldn't take more than 40 minutes on any other day.

Since i signed that contract, I have been scanning the Properties section in Gulf News looking for houses - I wish i never did.

A couple of years back, I saw a villa in Mirdif for 48k/year. We didn't really like it that much because we thought it was too tiny and didn't offer much value-for-money. Few days ago, we saw a villa in the same compound and it was going for 100k... enough said.

I think i can stick around my current house. After all, I've just moved to this place and i really like it. OK, the building's location on the Middle East most traveled road (about 400,000 cars travel that 5 to 6kms everyday) might not by the most ideal, however, this apartment has every thing I ever wanted in a home. Its extremely spacious, I have everything around me, its close to my barbershop, my butcher, my favorite bakery and the helpful pharmacist. I have a perfect parking space that I had people offering me cash in exchange for it. The building is loaded with facilities, its reasonably priced and I've been a loyal tenant the past 4 years.

I think i will complete this year, and start looking for houses to move back to Dubai by next Sept or October. Though i am very doubtful about rent this year, 3 to 4 hours of driving is not gonna get the best of me... i hope

10 Comments:

  • aaaaaawwwwwwwww, my dad's friend n his wife, they lived in a 2 BR apartment in sharjah - nice flat. but they were sooo sick of travelling up and down Dubai-Sharjah as they both work in Dubai, they moved to a studio apartment in Dubai which cost them more than the 2BR in sharjah, but they feel so much better off. No more sleep deprived days at work, more time to spend with each other. Actually living at home than in their car.

    By Blogger Harsha, at March 6, 2006 at 10:33 AM  

  • That's the spirit moryarti! Having a helpful pharmacist is highly underrated lol :) Anyways, hope the baby and Mrs. is fine and best of luck with your new work.

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at March 6, 2006 at 1:24 PM  

  • Oh man! You should look at moving to Abu Dhabi! I kid you not - you'll save about four hours a day travelling time! Abu Dhabi has barbers 'n butchers' 'n candlestick makers etc...and I don't think the rent increase mania has hit there yet.

    By Blogger Keef, at March 6, 2006 at 8:31 PM  

  • Good luck with the new job mori.

    Stay in Sharjah if you can - nice 'family' place. I lived in a 30k Ghubaiba villa there about ten years ago and it was just fab - loads of room, huge garden, two car garage, etc. When you came home, you really felt you were 'home'. No stress, just laid back living.

    As an working adult, however, not a chance I'd stay in Sharjah. Just commuting between JA and the office is enough to kill ya. Its about all I can do to get back to the Bur Dubai shed at 2pm and collapse.

    But as I mentioned, I don't have a family, so I can afford to be selfish. Just don't expect too much of anything and more than rent, watch the neighbourhoods - they go downhill faster than you think.

    By Blogger marwan, at March 6, 2006 at 8:36 PM  

  • In support of Keefie:
    I knew a guy who did the daily Abu Dhabi commute and its really not that unreasonable, especially if you have fixed hours. Way less bother on the highways than fencing with traffic.

    By Blogger marwan, at March 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM  

  • i don't like moving from one place to another !! it's kinda disturbing to the whole family !! it happens to me all the time specially when i travel, i wake up in the morning and wonder where i am !! takes me couple of minutes to realize where the bathroom is hehehe

    allah yikoon fee 3onik

    By Blogger Mother Courage, at March 6, 2006 at 9:23 PM  

  • Should he stay or should he go ta na na na na na na, You gotta let moryarti know...

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at March 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM  

  • The thing is, my wife works in a government department in Deira that is extremely fanatic when it comes to arriving to work on time (7:30am).

    Since I have more flexible working timings (i can work from home through VPN, web....etc), it only make sense for me to stay within the Deira area.

    My next door neighbor works in Oracle. He tells me he only goes to his office once or twice a week and he does almost everything from home.

    I really like it here.. too bad the traffic is getting worse and worse everyday.

    Sadly, the equivalent of my house in Dubai wouldn't be anything less then 120k to 150k (i checked). Thats why i have to compromise on either quality of life and settle for a much much smaller house or dedicate almost half of my income for rent (which is outrageous), just to maintain the same living standard.

    I hate moving much. Thats why am thinking: complete the existing 1 year contract -which should expire by November. Who knows, maybe i may end up winning one of those Shari'a Bonds and move to Marbella for good :) :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at March 7, 2006 at 2:23 AM  

  • Who knows, maybe i may end up winning one of those Shari'a Bonds and move to Marbella for good :) :)

    Hey that's my plan!

    By Blogger Keef, at March 7, 2006 at 6:59 AM  

  • @ Moryati & keefie Boy good luck with the bonds, iv given up on this stuff. never in my life have i won anything, stuck a lot of money into mashreq millionair for a long time didnt get anything.

    By Blogger Destitute Rebel, at March 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home