Dubai Consumer Mirror

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Road Toll: Bring it On!

I am gonna go on a limb here and say something that many of you will hate: I honestly think Road Tolls is actually a good idea.

Okay, before you rollout the big guns, just close your eyes, relax and take a deep breath.

Now, lets see.. Who are you?

If you live in Sharjah, believe me, Road Tolls is the best thing that ever happened to you since the invention of toast bread. Seriously speaking; why did you move to Sharjah anyways? If you live in Sharjah and work there, then Road Tolls will mean squat to you.

However, if you live in Sharjah and work in Dubai, then 99.99999% of the reason you moved there is because of the absurd rent situation in Dubai and you refuse to pay the cost of a studio apartment in Dubai while you can get a spacious sea view 3bedroom one in Sharjah.

You pay less rent in Sharjah but in return you get stuck in traffic for at least 3 hours more every day.

But hey, with Road Tolls, main roads will clear out big time because the ones who can't afford them will chose other alternative roads.

If you can afford to pay Tolls, don’t even think of taking alternative roads. As a matter of fact, if you pay Road Tolls twice a day, 7days a week for a whole year, the difference you will be paying will not even be a fraction of the extra cost you will have to bare if you decide to move back to Dubai.

In this case, HELL YEAH! Bring on those tolls baby! And you suckers in Dubai, you better start looking for bigger and cheaper houses in Sharjah before your landlord double up your rent again this year!

Now, if you belong to the segment of people that don't/can't afford Tolls, but drain your sunny and lancers everyday to work, do this: park your cars, save them for your weekend out with family and start taking the bus.

You will be much better off carpooling (sharing the cost of tolls) or commuting using public transportation. I mean, look at the big picture here. Buses, cabs and public TRANSPORTATION vehicles are exempted from the Tolls. You will end up paying for the fare only.

Since all the other people who don't want to pay Tolls will be taking alternative routes, you won’t have to wake up at 5 am to make it on time for your 8am check in. You 3hr agonizing trip in the bus will now take 30 minutes tops. Why? Roads are clear!

Hah … in your face you 2 to 3 car owning suckers!

And for those rich overpaid snobs who live in Dubai, guess what you lucky sobs... With majority of people car pooling, using public transportation …etc, Dubai streets will end up with less cars traveling on them.

Hence, you can now easily navigate around Road Toll payment points to take alternative roads to avoid paying. But again, you are already filthy rich, so cough it up or start looking for houses in Sharjah.


The main point here is this: Road Tolls are here to stay. Don't whine and whinge about it. Think of creative solutions.

Using public transpiration to commute to work will become the norm. Parking problems will be solved and on the long run, believe it or not, things will be better.

I know many of you will disagree with me.. i just urge you to see the big picture.

16 Comments:

  • The buses already run at capacity, Mori. On the few occasions I take one, it's standing room only.

    And pleasantly pungent.

    By Blogger marwan, at November 25, 2006 at 5:03 PM  

  • Hang on, what is '...public transpiration'? Is it some new blend of perspiration and teleportation?

    By Blogger marwan, at November 25, 2006 at 7:17 PM  

  • fixed :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at November 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM  

  • Well well well, I used to work in Dubai and traveled all the way from Ajman to Dubai and back - every single day. I have been through every single means of transportation. The 'sharing' taxi, the bus, and the galloping meter taxi. I don't see any big picture unless you decide to paint a picture in the first place. Public transportation is pathetic, car pooling is banned, sharing taxis are banned - leaving you at the mercy of the awful, over packed bus and the prohibitively expensive taxi.

    What is this picture you talk about when it's incomplete - without the freedom to at least move about, earn a living and live a dignified life without that nagging feeling that you're on an armchair till you get yourself a car?

    That toll is gonna open a can of worms.

    As for creative solutions - Dubai has finally started implementing them in full swing..Alas, all those who wanted licenses in a month got it a couple of years back - without ever having negotiated a single roundabout.

    More surveillance, more cameras flashing in the night. Only time will tell.

    By Blogger archer14, at November 25, 2006 at 11:45 PM  

  • car pooling is banned isn't it? Don't you think that the problem will not be solved until this issue is looked at?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 26, 2006 at 9:02 AM  

  • Well, I don't see why i have to pay the toll. I live in Dubai and work in Dubai, I'm paying a hell of a rent to live in Barsha and work on SZR. I don't get stuck in traffic and I'm paying for that. The toll station is supposed to be a few meters after my place, so I got to pay! I don't see why tolls should be INSIDE the city. I don't see why now i have to get stuck in traffic or pay extra. I'm definetly asking for a compensation. Let my company pay for it. I can barely keep up with the inflation!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 26, 2006 at 10:19 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 26, 2006 at 10:46 AM  

  • Sounds romantic!

    If there is anything I might have ever learnt in Dubai, there is no ‘bigger picture’ and ‘things are never what they seem to be’.

    I do live in Sharjah, because the whole family lives there, and I do work on the SZR, I do wake up at 6 to make it on time at 9. I do not drive; I did not get my driver’s license yet. But once I arrived in Dubai and Sharjah, my first reaction was “Dad, why on earth they are not using the sea for transportation?” Seriously, it only takes 18 – 25 minutes via the yacht at a 60 KMPH speed to reach Jumiera Beach from Khaled Lagoon in Sharjah. Imagine how much trouble they would solve if fairytales were implemented. You do not have to worry about the traffic since the sea is wide enough. I once tried it in Istanbul; it took us 45 minutes to reach a city that would usually consume 2 hours of driving.

    The sea is the answer.

    By Blogger Unknown, at November 26, 2006 at 10:49 AM  

  • Moryarti I gotta say, when I read this post I for some reason got associations of an american guy as the background voice to a tv shopping network channel.

    "But hey, with Road Tolls, main roads will clear out big time..
    "

    You know? Kinda like "But hey, with the new vanish cleaning soap, stains will clear out big time."

    lol

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at November 26, 2006 at 3:07 PM  

  • I considered taking the bus once.








    And thats the end of that story.

    By Blogger Jassim, at November 26, 2006 at 3:27 PM  

  • Unpalatable though this may seem, it is true. If anyone has ever been to Singapore, where it is almost prohbitively expensive to own your own car, you get a sense of why such a system works.

    Problem is here, as usual, it's all arse about tit. We need decent public transport FIRST, and car pooling incentives such as a bus lane/multi-occupancy lane. More onus needs to be put on employers to provide transport.

    And there needs to be a resconsideration of the split shift. I personally believe that forcing shops to open from midday to late evening, rather than opening in the morning, closing in the afternoon, and reopening in the evening, would have a dramatic effect.

    By Blogger secretdubai, at November 26, 2006 at 4:03 PM  

  • You know moryarti,

    I donno shit about Dubai,
    I just come here because I enjoy ur writing immensely. You can always draw a smile on my face. although I understand shit's worth of what ur typing...

    I mean, did they install road tolls already? or not?
    and do u even HAVE public transportation in Dubai? I'm not sure but the genral idea we all have is that public transportation there basically sucks, u HAVE to have a car to actually get by.

    well, comon people, build a damn train or monorail network and get this over with.
    I would think that would be the cheapest, most eco-friendly solution of all...

    By Blogger Yazan, at November 26, 2006 at 6:45 PM  

  • I personally think you should require a 'visa' to reach other areas. So everyone would keep a couple of visas, like one for living in Al Barsha and one for working in Bur Dubai. Going out of your zone will require a visa application....and you know how long they take...hehehaha...and no multiple entries either.

    By Blogger CG, at November 26, 2006 at 9:05 PM  

  • Moryarti, you forgot to mention the fuel saved once tolls are implemented. Half an hour on SZR burns way more fuel than the equivalent of AED 4. Calculating the monthly aggregate, you end up spending a little more, but you also end up spending less time on roads and in my case, saving money that I spend on headache pills once I visit Dubai.

    BTW, Im from Al Ain ;-)

    By Blogger 1234dsfs, at November 26, 2006 at 11:11 PM  

  • I reckon the toll system will work on SZR but I wouldn't like a taste of what will happen on Al Wasl/Beach Rd etc.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 28, 2006 at 7:19 PM  

  • today's paper says that car pooling is ILLEGAL..

    its in the gulf news..
    someone was fined for taking his friend somewhere

    the stupidity never ceases

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 2, 2006 at 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home