Dubai Consumer Mirror

Monday, December 25, 2006

Cairo Chronicles

One of the things I always regret not doing was keeping a journal during my 5 year stint in Cairo. I am not sure why, but i know i wasn't much into writing back then. So, I decided to sit and do a backlog documentation project of my wonder years in Cairo.

I am not talking about the college education I received in AUC only, I will also tell you about the other school I went to: the streets and alleys of Cairo.

From partying with the siblings of ministers and movie stars in Zamalek to having a “crew” that had my back whenever I hit King Faisal Road or Nezlet El Semman in Al Haram.

From hopping in fancy stretch limos to knowing by heart the sign language of Cairo’s crazy micro bus drivers.

From having a regular table in Cortigiano and Swiss Air restaurants to being on first name basis with the waiters of Zizo El Nittin (Or Natana) and Abu Rami the Kabab joint on the outskirts of Cairo.

Don’t worry if you can’t recognize any of these places. I will tell you all about them later.

I do admit that I’ve been through times and places which I don’t want to experience again. But that doesn’t mean I want to block them away in oblivion.

No. I want to keep remembering the bad times as well as the good times. I want to recall the good, the bad AND the muthafucken ugly.

I will note down, from time to time, the highlights of my random little adventures in Egypt; or at least what I still manage remember of them. All the great people I worked with, the wonderful places I visited and most importantly, the friendships that I will always cherish.

I believe the 5 years made me into what I am today. I still don’t know how, I hope noting them down will help me find out.

6 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you mean. I didn't write much down in my time in damascus either nor my stay in cairo. I regret it now but I have started writing bits and bobs...not everything is forgotten :)

    Kol 3aam wa entom bi'7eyr by the way, seeing as Eid is coming up. Hope you have a good time with the family! I'll be on a break so see you next year inshallah.

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at December 26, 2006 at 2:45 AM  

  • Can't wait to read about your "joints" experience,, lol...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 26, 2006 at 8:33 AM  

  • I'm looking forward to this. I used to live in Cairo for a while and I used to enjoy my days of eating Koshari and smoking sheesha at the burj.

    And the way me and my friends used to hustle British and American tourists out of their money on the streets of Dokki and Downtown coz they were always lulled into a false sense of security from our European accents (i used to be a bad boy).

    Wow. I also miss the taxi drivers and the car horns, oh those freakin car horns.

    By Blogger One Nine Seven One, at December 26, 2006 at 9:25 AM  

  • Professoré
    To you ,Mrs.M and the little Princess
    A wonderful heartwarming Eid Mubarak and Happy new Year.
    (These wishes go in advance for the simple reason that I will be out of town, and at the moment dont know when I will next see a keyboard! HAHAHHA!)

    By Blogger *, at December 26, 2006 at 12:26 PM  

  • Hi there,
    we, Ali & Musaed, started a podcast about our daily lives in Kuwait ... and we would like to invite you to listen to it at:
    deera-chat.blogspot.com
    and then let us know at
    deera.chat@gmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 27, 2006 at 3:30 PM  

  • I didn't know you lived in Cairo for so long. Look forward to those posts!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 30, 2006 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home