Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Back to the office, but not to work

Today was my first day at work after a 2 week long break. Although traffic this morning was bliss, I was cruising gracefully in my nice old dinged up beamer, listening to music and generally enjoying the ride; I did NOT feel like going back to work what so ever.

I didn't have that I-am-looking-forward-to-get-back-to-the-office feeling that one usually gets after a long break. I didn't miss anyone. Okaay, I missed a few - the nice ones at least, but i didn't feel like i was due to hit my that cubicle again.

I never felt like that before. And i don't usually do. I am the hard working kindda person. I stay late in the office. before getting married, pulling all-nighters was a normal thing to me. I don’t know why i am feeling like this now.

Was it because I spent the entire first week of my break receiving calls, emails and SMSs everyday and night? Or is it because I ruined a more than a few evenings by having to work out a number of mini disasters -which anyone in the office could’ve handled- or having to endure really lame phone calls from bosses that know jack about that they are doing?

I don't usually mind it working on my time off. As a matter of fact, its the perfect suckup excuse once can use with the big Kahunas.

But this time its different.

This time, I took this long break because my mom was in town, my wife had a knee surgery and couldn’t move around and my 10 months old daughter had a nasty flu that lasted for over a week. So, it wasn't like they were interrupting my sun bathing or my ski trip to Farayya.

It was only after I stopped responding to mails, phone calls and SMSs when my coworkers finally realized that I actually want to be left alone my personal time off and be left alone.

The calls stopped by the second week of my vacation.

With these emotions, I reached our office building to find the parking lot virtually deserted. It was like coming to work on a weekend. I was THIS close to turning the wheel around and heading back home.

But I didn’t, I walked up upstairs, said hi to the very few people who are not on leave, spent a few hours on email, updated my iTunes library, synced with my iPod and drove back home.

I don't think I will go to work tomorrow.

Merry Christmas everyone

2 Comments:

  • Season's Greetings, Mory - from our family to yours!

    By Blogger nzm, at December 25, 2006 at 12:55 AM  

  • "I never felt like that before. And i don't usually do. I am the hard working kindda person. I stay late in the office. before getting married, pulling all-nighters was a normal thing to me. I don’t know why i am feeling like this now."

    It's AGE my dear. You are getting old and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Lol.

    How was your Mom's stay in Dubai? Is she staying for the Eid too?

    Happy Hoildays to All; the Mrs., Granny and Little Angel Baby M. Is she an angel or one of those Angels in Disguise brats?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 25, 2006 at 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home