Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Inconsiderate Considerations

One of the things that really get on my nerves is the degree of inconsideration that some people might reach.

When it comes to leave days where I work, we have a 'USE IT or LOSE IT' policy. Meaning: if you don't use up your vacation days, they will expire by the end of the year. And you don't get to carry any of your leave days over to the following year. And we can't take our unclaimed leave days in cash, (that would've been sweet).

The only problem was that i got to know all these details when I got back to work after the National Day holiday (which we took Sunday and Monday off btw). I was told that i have till end of December to use up 17.5 leave days.


I was like "Great! I am taking 2 weeks off starting tomorrow." It was perfect timing for some time off.

My wife had a knee surgery. And on the same day the Mrs was going thru the procedure in Emirates Hospital in Jumeirah, Baby M was showing signs of a bad flu and I had to take her to her doctor, who is based in Sharjah. (That day deserves a post on its own)

So, I spent the rest of the day pulling together a quick handover document. Tightening up loose ends and wrapping up whatever I can wrap up before I hit home. I stayed till 12 midnight that evening.

That was about a week ago. And in this week when I was supposedly on my personal time off, I had people calling me at 8AM, people from work calling me on Thursday night and Friday morning. I had people SMSing me asking for meetings. All sorts of work related annoyance that you can imagine.

The aggravating part of all this was the fact that my wife was in real pain and could barely move from one place to another, my daughter was going thru a really really bad cold and her cough was so bad I was almost in tears at one point.


It was so bad, my mom flew in from Kuwait to give me a hand with. I also started to feel terrible/guilty for her not leaving the house for almost a week since she arrived from the Airport.

Here I am, going thru all off the above, and then having to have this conversation with someone from the office at 8pm on a Thursday night and who is supposed to be a "senior" manager

Senior manager: person X cancelled the meeting
Me: he postponed it
Senior manager: Why did he postpone the meeting?
Me: He mentioned in his email to you that he was traveling
Senior manager: But I am confused now, when am I supposed to meet him?
Me: Umm .. I don't know, when he comes back maybe?
Senior manager: When will he come back?
Me: He said in one week
Senior manager: But in one week, i will be traveling
Me: (silent)
Senior manager: (silent)
Me: (more silence)
Senior manager: What do you think?
Me: Baby is crying .. sorry, gotta go.

CLICK

I see a full post dedicated to baby sitting managers… stay tuned.

10 Comments:

  • he CALLED you for that?

    By Blogger Harsha, at December 11, 2006 at 9:46 AM  

  • Uff, what an idiot. Stay strong, buddy..

    By Blogger marwan, at December 11, 2006 at 10:30 AM  

  • Wow, Mory, you sure have a lot on your plate these days, as well as dealing with morons on and off the road.

    I trust that Mrs M will mend quickly, Baby M stays well, your mother gets to have some quality time with you and that you do manage to enjoy some of your vacation!

    By Blogger nzm, at December 11, 2006 at 10:35 AM  

  • It is been a week and you posted nothing, I began to worry and I guess you really did have a busy week. By the way, Stupid Policy, I hate it, we used to have it, but thanks to someone (ehm ehem, ME) I almost led a rebel revolution against it and it worked; now everybody can cash his vacation if he wants.

    I am sorry for Mrs. M and Baby M but I am sure they will be ok, having you beside. Say Hi to Granny M.:D I bet she loves that name. *Goofy*

    By Blogger Unknown, at December 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM  

  • Wishing Mrs. M a speedy recovery. Good thing your Mom flew over to help.

    Hope you are all on the way to better health.

    By Blogger CG, at December 11, 2006 at 1:12 PM  

  • stop spending so much time on msn

    otherwise :)

    pooooooooooooor u !

    By Blogger inmotion, at December 11, 2006 at 2:18 PM  

  • Harsha .. I swear he did...

    Thanks Marwan, NZM, CG and RnD..

    Inmotion ... I don't mind doing work over msn, at least i get to be selective in responding. Besides, I was barely on MSN this week!

    By Blogger moryarti, at December 11, 2006 at 6:29 PM  

  • Salamet Mrs M and Baby M....Hope they both feel better very soon...

    I've noticed that when you work in the UAE, you can only really get a break from work when you leave the country and switch your mobile off...Otherwise, people will still call you and e-mail you and expect you to get work done. It's like boundaries are not respected.

    In Canada, when someone was on holiday, we'd think not twice, not three times, but 10 times before calling that person to bother them during their time off...But here, it seems that there is no respect for one's time to relax and rest.

    It still surprises me when I get calls from clients on weekends and after work hours...It's a WEEKEND for God's sake, what on earth is it that can't wait till Sunday morning?

    Oh, and I still have around 20 days of vacation to take....my vacation's coming up in a couple of weeks....yippee!

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at December 11, 2006 at 9:30 PM  

  • I think Mrs M and Baby M should get a big thrashing with your camel whip for being so impudent as to become ill!

    Seriously get well soon to them, and I feel your frustration. Modern business life is not geared to coping with emergencies, people are too selfish for sympathy and flexibility. Thank god for grannies at a time like this.

    By Blogger secretdubai, at December 11, 2006 at 10:53 PM  

  • in arabic we say "muntaha 2illet el zoo2"

    Salamat to the Mrs and Baby M.

    By Blogger BuJ, at December 11, 2006 at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home