Dubai Consumer Mirror

Monday, February 19, 2007

Living in the village

This is our 3rd week since we moved back to Dubai to a brand new overpriced apartment in what is supposed to be a "decent" residential area.

Let me just say that since the last time I used to lived in Dubai (that's about 5 years ago), things have changed here a bit, A LOT actually.

Everything is far more expensive and everyone is far less effective.

For starters, I've always seen myself as an accommodating person. I am not into micro picking on things; but dig this:

We still do not have any AC, the entire building is living on generators, we don't have any kind of cable TV service, Etisalat is taking its sweet time to hock up the building with any kind of connectivity options. Thank god for GPRS, oh but wait, Etisalat's coverage is only possible in some parts of the living room.. no where else. 60 fully occupied apartments are running on one elevator, garbage chute is not working yet and of course all the "facilities" that we were promised with are still 'work-in-progress'.

I will keep the gory details of the finishing (tiles, walls, plumbing) to myself.

Everyday, the landlord -and anyone associated to him for that matter- receives a barrage of angry phone calls from tenants asking why the hell is the delay and why does it feel like living in a village and paying over $3700 a month for it.. I can't blame them.

I, on the other hand, am still trying to find a way to get on the landlords good side to see if we can get an extra parking space.. The thing is, I counted the parking spaces below in the B level, and they less than the total number of housing units. Some residents will end up park their cars outside.

Oh well.. maybe above can give you an explanation to the 'activity downtime' on this blog. My only option is to blog from work, which I rather not to.

Miss you all

Mory

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

  • consider that 3700 USD money paid to get those four hours of your day back .. from the jaws of traffic ..

    and a downpayment on your daughter's emotional well being with you visibly more around for her to view ..

    :)


    I am sure she appreciates it more than she knows how to let on.

    By Blogger inmotion, at February 19, 2007 at 10:53 AM  

  • 3700USD/month?!?! *jaw drops*

    That's how much in AED? 150K+? And you're not getting any services in your second week?

    God, what I heard about UAE being expensive isn't just rumors...

    I'll be moving into Sharjah soon and I'm gonna be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in al-Majaz area with a lakeview, but I can't afford more than $1450 a month; And the place better have Internet connection and AC.

    U think I'll find what I'm looking 4?

    By Blogger MK Safi, at February 19, 2007 at 12:22 PM  

  • Well I'll be damned...that's some rent...

    Hang in there M, hopefuly the apartment will be hooked up soon, meanwhile you will just have to walk the livingroom stretching out your hand to find a connection :) (lol sorry I just got a funny visual)

    By Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira, at February 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM  

  • Hang in there, Mory.

    Looks like the Dxb infrastructure (or lack of it) is getting a bashing.

    By Blogger nzm, at February 19, 2007 at 2:49 PM  

  • We missed you too Mory.

    Somehow I felt that you were going through all of this.

    And the envious part of me is totally grinning now lol.

    I am sure this landlord guy has some other unfinished towers or buildings to build so he can rip more people off, after all you are on the "Catches" list now.

    Cheer up buddy.

    RnD

    By Blogger Unknown, at February 19, 2007 at 4:57 PM  

  • inmotion - that’s what i initially agreed on buying back: My life.. but I don't mind the ability to watch some TV along with it ;)

    Mohammed.. its actually about 135k - but if you add up commissions, deposits and other expense, it does add up to about 150.

    And as for Sharjah, rant is by far cheaper then Dubai. It would also be ideal if you work in Sharjah. Living in Sharjah and working in Dubai is actually a different story.

    I am glad my desperate attempts to capture a signal provided you with a visual comic relief :P

    NZM and RnD .. wait until I am sorted.. I will unleash my wrath on ye evil doers

    By Blogger moryarti, at February 20, 2007 at 9:01 AM  

  • Things can only get better. Unless they get worse!

    By Blogger Keef, at February 20, 2007 at 5:37 PM  

  • Bloody landlords! I live in the UK and when my Greek housemate pulled up the carpet in her ground floor room to reveal soil, he told her thats how houses are built in England!!

    Good luck! I've enjoyed your blog.

    Kate. Lovetolead.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 21, 2007 at 6:58 PM  

  • you could've had a three-bed house with garden In Arabian Ranches for 135k/pa. broadband, no-proxy, traffic not too bad, quiet, and Emrill aren't totally useless.

    what drew you to this dump?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 22, 2007 at 10:49 AM  

  • man.. i'm sorry to hear that.. i think if you're going to rent in the super shark-infested waters of dubai's property you should try to get a landlord that's ur friend.. a personal friend.. and try something which isn't brand new, because brand new properties take typically 6-12 months to be fully commissioned and for all the little annoying faults to be rectified.

    By Blogger BuJ, at February 23, 2007 at 12:37 PM  

  • I rant just about every day about the lack of a law to make it illegal to put up a building with insufficient parking. Just about all of the buildings in Dubai don't have anywhere near enough parking space, with cars parked all over the streets and footpaths just adding to the chaos.
    My number one complaint about Dubai- the lack of planning.

    By Blogger Seabee, at February 26, 2007 at 6:20 PM  

  • That´s a lot of money! I think it´s because the city is fast growing and emerging as one of the best cities of the new century. Keep on with the good work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 27, 2007 at 8:37 AM  

  • Wainak ya Mori, long time no post!!

    By Blogger Rania, at March 1, 2007 at 11:52 AM  

  • Oh. Parking.

    I'm in Sharjah. Don't get me started.

    By Blogger KJ, at March 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home