Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Tuesday night

Tuesday morning I was asked to head to Kuwait for a quick customer-related mission.

I love going to Kuwait, especially when someone else pays for it. Now, the only problem is, it will srota delay my move to the new crib in Dubai. You can not imagine how much I can't wait to leave!

Anyhow, I packed up and picked up my ticked around lunch time. At 6:30, I grabbed a cab to Dubai Airport for the 9pm EK to Kuwait.

The minute I walked into the airport, I felt something different than usual. Everyone was happy!

“No, they can’t be THAT happy to leave this place,” I thought to myself.

The airport security staff, who are actually Dubai Police in suits, were the most pleasant; and they are not going anywhere.

Then it hit me! UAE won the Gulf Cup.

Just to set the record straight, I am not a football fanatic. I am not even a fan. The only football match I watch is once every 4 years. The Fifa final.

But when I heard about the UAE team victory, I was happy. It was a great moment. Though, I am not a UAE national and it should not mean a lot to me, but it did. It was great. UAE team kicked ass and I love them for it.

So, here I was, walking through the various security checkpoint in Dubai Airport with literally EVERYONE working there saying mabrouk, congratulations and well done to each other.

Immigration staff where cheering each other across counters and halls, having football small talk to everyone while stamping out travelers passports.

At the metal detector section, security guys were pleasantly welcoming everyone to walk through the radio-active rectangle and believe me when I say this; I HAVE NEVER seen people that happy to take off their shoes, belts and any other metal items they have on, like I saw it on Tuesday night.

In the Duty Free, all wall mounted screens were tuned to Dubai Sports Channel with runs and reruns of Sh. Mohammed excitement moment when UAE team scored their winning goal.

My wife called and told me all about how the streets were a big celebration scene with UAE flags everywhere, people dancing in the streets and cheering each other.

It was a nice feeling to have and I havn't felt it for a long time: Belonging

4 Comments:

  • I've got tingles just reading this!

    It was like that in NZ when NZ won the America's Cup in yachting. The parade for the guys when they returned was one of the most awesome things that I've ever experienced.

    By Blogger nzm, at February 1, 2007 at 7:27 PM  

  • I remember what Paris was like after France won the world cup in 1998. It was so much fun and I was there 2 months after the games, but you could still feel the buzz in the air

    By Blogger Zaydoun, at February 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM  

  • UAE
    UAE
    UAE
    UAE
    I loved the guy disguised in Um Khamas’s outfit.. impressive how these guys can get creative when it comes to wining a cup…
    On a second thought, guys… those team players are getting richer by the minute.. man I wish I was a footballer…
    RnD

    By Blogger Unknown, at February 3, 2007 at 6:11 PM  

  • Once, a couple years ago, Galatasary won the UEFA cup. People in Istanbul went crazy.Celebration took days long. Even the people who had nothing to do with football became Galatasaray fans...I remember that as a very nice period of time...

    By Blogger Oya, at February 5, 2007 at 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home