Dubai Consumer Mirror

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I think it goes without saying that ...

... I didn't feel right about blogging about anything that doesn't or wouldn't do serve or help Gaza. And now that things have calmed down a bit, i can safely get back to business as usual... sort of.



So, today. I was thrilled to see the story on freezing all 2008 rents in 2009. My new contract is due renewal and I still haven't signed the new, and increased I may add, tanancy contract for 2009.

"Perfect," I told my wife today. "I will take the newspaper, the new unsigned contract and yell POWER TO THE PEOPLE at the reception desk of our Greedy Landlord's office."

On my way there, i was thinking of how much i am going to enjoy sticking the news about His Highness Sh. Mohammed's decree in his face, street ball style. And maybe do a-4th-grade na na na naaaa naaaaaaaaa na victory dance while I am at it..


Me: "Hello sir, I got the new contract... I think you need to make some changes, no?"
(handed the contract with an old-fashion-homeboy wink)

Greedy Landlord takes a look: "umm.. looks fine. You got the cheuqes?"

Me (releasing a nervous giggle): "I guess you didn't read today's peper, Sh. Mohammed said that ..."

GLL: "Oh yeah .. that. We saw that ... do you actually believe this? Thats all newspaper talk"

Did this guy just diss Sh. Mo's decree? Not on my watch...

Me:"Excuse me, what are you saying? that you are not gonna comply with this?" (pointing at the article with the huge Sh. Mohammed photo with it)

GLL: "Oh no... we have full respect for his highness ... but every time a decision is made, people are confused, we don't know what to do ... and we want wait... bla bla bla. So, do you want to renew the contract or not?"

I muttered a few words about knowing people in higher places and somebody in The Rulers Court (which i don't, and i think GLL will totally use it as the 'office joke of the day' with the guys). I pulled out my cheque book, signed 2 cheques for a small fortune that could feed an entire Palestinian village for a whole year, walked out with both the newspaper with the decree inside, the increased contract for 2009..

13 Comments:

  • Sorry to say this, but this rent freeze thing has confused things even further ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

  • مالي فهمان، يعني كيف فيهم يعيشوا عفلوس حرام

    يا هيك يا أنا عندي ضمير زياده عن اللزوم

    الله يعوضلك

    By Blogger KJ, at January 20, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

  • Mom & dad's villa rent was D-O-U-B-L-E-D! A 100% increase - yay!!

    I've taken Valium... it shows? :)

    By Blogger rosh, at January 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

  • Ummm... go straight to Gulf News, do not pass go, do not give 'em 200,000Dhs.

    "Landlords ignore rent cap instruction"

    And don't tell me they won't run it. Try it!!!!

    By Blogger Alexander, at January 21, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

  • it did sound great for a few minutes, didn't it?

    but then people woke up and realised that this has nothing to do with tenants and everything to do with backing up those poor, suffering landlords ...

    I mean, face it.. they have so much to deal with. A ferrari oil change service is Dhs 40k... how do you think they can cover that? Have you no compassion?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

  • Seeing that you signed the increased rent agreement without a fight, in my search for curiosity, I would like to know how do you plan to off-set the increase in your rent this year ?
    If you are an employee, will you ask for a raise ?
    Will you cut down on your expenses ?
    Or do you just feel despair and just accept it in the hope that the next year's rent will be the same or less (depending on the severity of the recession) ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM  

  • I feel for your brother. If they don't increase the rent then they will impose other charges like parking or chiller or gas etc etc... The tenants lose no matter what.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger a question of a question, at January 22, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

  • Rosh:

    "Mom & dad's villa rent was D-O-U-B-L-E-D! A 100% increase - yay!! "

    Your mom & dad have a villa!!

    (me goes back to my "bed space")

    By Blogger a question of a question, at January 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

  • AQFQ - umm.. yea..a 35 yrd old villa. My folks have extra bedrooms, you are welcome to stay :) Where or what is bedspace?

    By Blogger rosh, at January 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

  • Rosh: "Where or what is bedspace?"

    buddy . . . you have been out of UAE way tooo long . . . .

    . . . there is even a website dedicated to "bedspace" in the UAE

    http://uaebedspace.com/index.php

    By Blogger a question of a question, at January 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

  • Here's a Dubai rent cap calculator to help figure out what rent cap applies for you in 2009. Enter your rent, and the Dubai rent index limits for that area to see what you could pay. I'd appreciate any feedback so it can be improved. Thanks :).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 25, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

  • And before you know the next tenant coming in will be coming in at a rent below yours... the way things are headed, rents will be down by as much as 20% in 6 months.... so you may well prepare to moce house soon...

    By Blogger Dubai Photo Story, at January 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home