Dubai Consumer Mirror

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Yes... I love Dubai, sue me

Lately, I received almost half a dozen emails accusing me of being too "pro-Dubai," "a brown-nose for the government", "too blind to see what is really happening here" and -my personal favorite- "I get paid by Dubai's gov to promote positive news about it.

I won't post any of those emails because they don't deserve that credit.. but allow me to clear it out for those nice chaps..

If because I admire HH Sh Mo, you're gonna call me a brownnose, then knock yourself out.

I am one of the biggest fans of HH Sheikh Mohammed and my only wish before I leave this earth is to have the opportunity to shake his hand. This man is doing so much for his people and country, few leaders have come close to his accomplishments.

No, I am not too blind to see what is happening in Dubai. As a matter of fact, I see more clearly than many of you because I refuse to be herded like cattle to blindly follow the drivel published about Dubai in some of the world mainstream media.

And yes, Dubai government is paying me…… and you and you and everyone. Not in cash, but in something much more valuable: An experience.

Living and working in Dubai gave me the chance to be. To do things and go to places I wouldn't even dream of. Dubai is one of the safest places I have ever been to. (And believe me, I’ve been around). I am usually happy to see Dubai police officers, in many other places I've lived in before Dubai, I was beaten, insulted and humiliated by police officers for literally doing nothing. I've left my car, house, office unlocked, many many times and nothing happened to them. If I have a claimed right, there is a law mechanism that I can count on. It may take time, but I know I will get my right.

I am not saying there is nothing wrong with this place. There is plenty of room for improvements. Everywhere needs improvements. Even the most advanced “1st world cities”. 'Improvement' is a journey, not a destination. No body or place will reach a point, stop and say: "that is it. we are fully improved". You just keep that engine running. And this is what Dubai is doing.

So, bottom line to all ye Dubai-haters out there: Yes, I am pro-Dubai. A 1000 times more than you think. Now go @#$! yourselves.

18 Comments:

  • You are not alone my friend - I feel the same way and agree with what you are saying.

    There are things wrong in Dubai - as there are anywhere else in the world - just that some opportunists are making a quick buck at Dubai's expense. Not cool. To them I say, go and sniff out the dirty laundry in your own back yard!

    By Blogger Mita, at July 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

  • Well-said, Mory.

    And you know, some of this hate is purely hyppocritical; there are people who would fawn Dubai in their day-jobs and in public, but would turn 'critical' and righteous once they get behind their computer screens. I've seen it.

    By Blogger Dubai Jazz, at July 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

  • I've said this before (either on my blog or yours, not too sure) but we should all count our blessings. I know I do, and I always say it to people who complain about Dubai or ask me "How do you like Dubai?"

    I say: I live close to my family, the weather is amazing almost year round (and I really do not mind the heat in the summer), I have a great job, a great group of friends, not a weekend goes by without some sort of a plan and life, in general, is easier than in North America. What more can one ask for?

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at July 15, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

  • It is good to see that someone is taking a positive stance about Dubai, probably about time.

    But, I have been here over three years now and the jury is still deliberating for me...

    By Blogger Dave, at July 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

  • Quite honestly, I like The UAE more to DXB. I'm comfortable at AUH, SHJ, hell even Al Ain than DXB. They remain true to the real UAE. DXB has its share of the positives, however what puts me off is the plasticity in the air - seem to forget its roots and tries too hard. Go head, sue me :)

    By Blogger rosh, at July 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

  • Oh btw, I concur with everything you say about DXB. It's the safest place I've lived - and I've lived / worked in the US, Canada America, The UK and Oz. UAE is the safest place - hands down.

    By Blogger rosh, at July 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger rosh, at July 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

  • Yeah I agree. There is a lot of things that Dubai needs to improve on, but on the whole it's such a great place and I enjoyed my time there.
    I am back in the UK now and I can't see why anybody would want to live here. Such a miserable country. Enjoy Dubai people you won't know what you're missing until you've left!

    By Anonymous NW Europe, at July 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

  • could anyone comment on how much Dubai has contributed to the global economy? if the "trickle-down" model is an accurate depiction, how you think did Dubai fare during the boom period?

    By Blogger Baldassare01, at July 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

  • There is a Dubai expat forum I am regular at... and I am surprised to see the amount of Dubai haters on that board...

    well said Mory...

    you are just looking at the cup "half full" NOT "half empty"

    everything we encounter in our life journey has positive and negative sides... we just have to choose which side to look at..

    given, (as you mentioned) that we dont choose to be herded like cattle... lets point the mistakes and work to improve it...

    salute for positive attitude :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

  • Well said. Despite the issues, all that I have seen all these years is progress. Its not about where you are. Its all about how much you move... Ahead

    By Blogger Dubai Photo Story, at July 17, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

  • I agree 100% bro. Not just about Dubai, but the UAE in general. Living here is an experience and we do have a level of lifestyle, whether you be rich or poor, that is pretty much better than most other countries.

    I lived in the UK and have been given bad looks by the police just for the colour of my skin...and I have even been roughed up by them simply for standing on the wrong street at the wrong time. Here I have nothing but respect for the law...coz they have treated me good even when I hav been on the wrong side of it a couple times ;-)

    Anyhow... good post. Just ignore those play-haters.

    Y.A ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

  • weinak mr consumer?
    i got a little surprise for u at my page :P

    By Blogger BuJ, at July 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

  • Great post! I definitely agree with you. I used to complain about Dubai a lot (even though I'm a local) but since being in the US for college I realize what a freaking great city it is. Nothing can compare to Dubai, in my opinion. I love it. It does have a lot of problems, but it's a relatively new country and it is improving! We need more bloggers like yourself I feel, too much negative attitudes these days.

    By Blogger Amna_a, at August 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM  

  • Oh also, I once met Sheikh Mohammed. He's a very nice man!

    By Blogger Amna_a, at August 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

  • What about the lack of a legal remedy when you are defrauded by the developers? Where is the law? Where are the courts. Most of us have lost faith in Dubai and even the lawyers who are flocking there to make a living off our loss. I'm sure they can do nothing about the current economic situation and they cannot make the corruption go away.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 3, 2009 at 6:20 AM  

  • You said it brother!!!....I've lived in Dubai since I was 7. It's my home!! I love it

    By Blogger Slippery Salil, at February 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

  • I love Dubai police..I will pray for them..!!

    By Anonymous sambu, at February 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home