Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Places that I will definitely resume visiting, thanks to Dubai Metro

Deira City Centre
Its been almost 4 years since I last stepped into that mall. Heavy downtown traffic and drivers racing thru its parking lots, was always a turn off for me to spend anytime there. But with that out of the way, I'll be interested to go see all what used to be the No1 most visited mall in Dubai (and UAE, i think), went through over those long years.

Burjuman
With the introduction of its sort-of-prohibitive parking fee (Dhs 20/hr), plus unpredictable Bur Dubai traffic, the last time I was at this once favorite chill-out mall of choice was about 3 years ago. I will definitly start to revisit that place. Besides the memories we have there of the good 'ol days, its a change of scenery away from MoE, Festival City and Dubai Mall.

Naif Street and Al Musallah Road
I used to avoid this place like anything. Everytime i dirve there, I would never came out without a door ding or two, and of course, the psudo-nervous break down cause by Deira traffic.

What is so special about that area? Well, for a telco geek, that place is a shoppers heaven. For example, a phone cover in any 'known mall' goes for Dhs 75 or 100. Over there, you can easily get it for 50 to 75% less that price, if you where a good haggler of course.

Recently, I was looking for a 16 GB iPhone 3Gs, original factory unlocked. I got various quotes but nothing less than Dhs 4200/-. I got it from Naif for Dhs 3400/-

Plus, the best car accessories shops can be found there. Women will have a blast with the traditional garments shops and the famous gold souk near by.


Karama
Biggest problem for me there was the parking. All of Karama is a paid parking zone and because the place is a mix of commercial/residential, it gets really difficult to find a decent spot. Nonetheless, EVERYTHING you need can and will be found in Karama; branded (and fake) merchandise, clothes, household items, furniture, home maintenance gear ... and even Dubai memorabilia that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg to buy. I also remember a fresh veg and fish market.

Also, Karama is packed with authentic straight-up-and-no-frills restaurants from all over the world. Chinese, Thai, Sri Lankan, Indian (Veg, Non veg,) Arab, Iraqi, Iranian ..etc. Great food, generous portions, low prices.

Any other places you can think of?

17 Comments:

  • http://www.arabianbusiness.com/565985-dubai-metro-feeder-bus-route-maps

    this should be helpful. maps of all bus feeder routs.. could help you get to those destinations faster.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

  • I guess I am the only dope who STILL goes to these places! (I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind traffic, then again I am unemployed and have nothing better to do than be stuck in traffic hehe).

    You probably would wanna revisit Garhoud again. Chilis and Fudds baby! And More cafe at the back.

    By Blogger KJ, at August 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

  • You've thought it through very well, Mory. I don't live near to a station so I'm still undecided on how often I will use it. I guess I'll wait and see.

    Work wise, I'd certainly use it to travel to Dubai Municipality and other places in Deira. There's a station close by our office, and one right next to DM's offices. It should be fun.

    By Blogger Dubai Jazz, at August 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

  • Love it - thank you for reminding of all the things I haven't done for a while because of parking, traffic problems. Yaay.

    I also think we now don't have to rely on Taxis that were getting bit uppity - might bring them down a peg or two or three!

    By Blogger Mita, at August 27, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

  • Well said. I'm lucky enough to live quite near to one the stations that looks close to being ready and looking forward to revisiting Dubai. But what I am most excited about is being able to leave the car at home and walking to work - crossing SZR will become much easier!

    By Anonymous CY, at August 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

  • i will certainly burjaman... havent done so yet because of the exact same reason

    By Anonymous Umar in Dubai, at August 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

  • i liked this post.. made me think either you will visit the malls by car coz they put paid parking and now can find a spot in CC or burjuman or that u will take the metro and be cool and green, either way it's good :)

    we have choices.. slowly !

    i love burjuman and cc, but burjuman more.. i used to work next to burjuman and spent many lunches on the food court next to the amusements. fantastic place. i developed a taste for swordfish there.. ah the atkins days!

    also karama is amazing. i always take tourist friends there and they love it.. so what iranian or iraqi restuarants do u recommend there?

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

  • guys remember the green line won't open till 2010, but the red line is longer and cooler :) goes from next to my house all the way to jabal ali !!!

    it'll be good to get us proper deira folk down to new dubai, but don't think many new dubai ppl will come to deira.. which isn't too bad really :P

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 27, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

  • Anon: Thanks for the link

    KJ: When both red and green lines open, i will deff not drive there anymore.

    DJ: How about the feeder busses? don't they pass near ur place?

    Mita: I miss these places and yes.. ironically, i believe Taxi's should be getting more business when the metro is up and running...

    CY: Thanks for dropping in.. yes, those bridges over SZR will really help get more people on both sides safely..

    Umar: True ... i don't know about you, but after the new burjuman was open, i still preferred to hang around the older section (La goffreit, Dome ..etc) ..

    Buj: True ... i guess it all boils down to having options at the end of the day. Not only that .. it can also be considered as an activity for the kids (get them on the train). My daughter used to get so excited every time we take the sub in Paris or London.. well, maybe London cause its always packed .. esp zone 1 :P

    I am trying to remember which cool Iranian is there but wallahi i can't, its been too long ... but one i do remember clearly is called Al Dumiyati .. its an Egyptian run fool/hommos in AM and grill at none. We used to stuff our faces with kabab, kefta and 3arayes, plus homos and salad, for Dhs 15 ... and the owner would throw in cup of tea toward the end... :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

  • First I was having dreams about the Metro, and recently, I had a weird dream about checking out a building full of duplex apartments in KARAMA, and tenants showing me around that they were moving to different areas! I remember thinking to myself during the dream 'Wow, Karama does have a lot of surprises!' - I suppose the Metro will revolutionise the way we live - giving us the option to go away to faraway lands we'd previously never dream of.

    By Blogger i*maginate, at August 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

  • Or maybe that should read 'only dream of' lol

    Err..but no eating/drinking/snogging on the Metro!

    By Blogger i*maginate, at August 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

  • i*maginate... its been a while young lady .. good to see you here

    So, where they offering you a decent rent for those apartments in your dream? lol :) :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

  • I'm in Qatar now but still a regular Dubai visitor. I can't imagine living in any part of Dubai except the Bur Dubai & Karama zone, let's say within a mile radius of Ramada. Everything you need is in walking distance, even in high summer. And when the metro connects it all to Media City, I'll be looking to come back.

    By Blogger Para Glider, at August 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

  • I will definitely visit Karama when the metro opens again.. its been more than 10years since I went to Karama and Naif souqs

    BTW.. I am also looking for 1BD apartment close to any metro station... I will be very happy to find vacancy... however my budget is 55K and its kind of hard to find something close to a station at this rate :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

  • I am very thankful to you. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the
    blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Keep up the good work.

    By Anonymous SEO Services, at February 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

  • Last year i was in Dubai,when we move to the Heritage Village during Ramadan at that time i saw a total different Dubai, where local Emiratis take total enjoyment with their dance and local traditions.

    By Anonymous joyesmith, at February 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

  • After spending few years in Dubai i must say What moreover you end up to get preferring Dubai been always enjoyable fascinating experiment and a city-state that compare to like no other.

    By Anonymous Garry riky, at February 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home