Dubai Consumer Mirror

Friday, July 27, 2007

PR Sexecutive

This is an email trail that landed in my inbox that I HAD to share with you.

A PR executive working on behalf of one of her clients, Durex. Apparently she was trying -admirably- to push editors of a number of magazines to review her clients range of sexual products and lubricants in a 'tried and tested' sextion, er... I mean section.

The problem was, in my opinion, is not that she was targeting the wrong kind of magazines: TimeOut, an entertainment magazine, Charged: IT "gadgets" monthly and Boat Owner ME, an exclusive title no boats, yachts and lifestyle water sports.

The problem was ... well... just read the whole thing :)

-----Original Message-----
From: PR Executive
To: Editor 1
Subject: Durex play line competition with magazine

Dear Editor1,

Hope all is well.

Your colleague, Editor2, asked me to get in touch with you regarding your "gadget" magazine called "Charged" .

We want to work a competition out with Durex and Charged magazine on the "New Durex play line".

Please find attached the latest press release and product shot from Durex on its new range of products "PLAY" and a product shot for your reference.

We would like to run a competition with Time Out magazine where we give out the entire 'play line range' for 3-5 winners atleast.

We could also do a "tried and tested feature" along with the competition from the Charged magazine team.

Would be great to get your testimonials. What do you think?

Kindly let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks
PR Executive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Editor 1
To: PR Executive
Subject: RE: Durex play line competition with Charged magazine

Hi PR Executive, Thanks very much for your email.

I spoke to Editor2 last week and he had told me you would get in touch.

I think your idea is a fantastic one - one that we would normally definitely consider for the pages of my gadget magazine "Charged".

In the past we have had several reviews of "adult" products and gadgets that we have rated and tested following an extensive period of use.

We would normally love to include a "tried and tested" feature using the full Play range with our testimonials.

However, the entire Charged team has recently taken a vow of celibacy for a local charity that looks after stray dogs.

You may have heard of it - Stray Away - No Sex Helps Rex.

This unfortunately means we won't be able to fully utilise any of your products for the next two months if we are to earn the 1000 dirhams we hope to raise.

I am, understandably, disappointed at this situation, but can give you the name of someone who would certainly be interested in your ideas.

Editor3, is Time Out's nightlife editor, so has been on various fact-finding missions regarding night time activities. He has also written a number of freelance articles regarding safe sex, so I'm sure would jump at the opportunity.

Alternatively, I understand Boat Owner Middle East magazine includes a monthly section called Naughty Naval Nights which I think would be ideal.

Contact the editor Editor4.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,


-----Original Message-----


From: PR Executive
To: Editor1
Subject: RE: Durex play line competition with Charged magazine

Dear Editor1,

Thanks for your email, Hope to work with you in the future once your current charity project is over. Wish you and the team all the best on it.

Will get in touch with the persons you have referred.

Kind regards

PR Executive

-----Original Message-----

From: PR Executive
To: Editor3
Re: Durex play line competition with Time out

Dear Editor3,

Hope all is well.

Been trying to reach Editor4 on the below, however, glad you can assist me on this..

As per our conversation, we want to work a competition out with Durex and Time out magazine on the "New Durex play line". As per our conversation, Please find attached the latest press release and product shot from Durex on its new range of products "PLAY" and a product shot for your reference.

We would like to run a competition with Time out magazine where we give out the entire 'play line range' for 3-5 winners?

We could also do a "tried and tested feature" along with the competition from the Time out team.

Would be great to get your testimonials. What do you think?

Kindly let me know your thoughts.
Many thanks

PR Executive

-----Original Message-----

From: PR Executive
To: Editor3
RE: Durex play line competition with Time out

Hey Editor3,
I have not heard from you yet with regards to the below.
Look forward to your earliest reply.
Best regards,

PR Executive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Editor3
To: PR Executive
Subject: RE: Durex play line competition with Time out

Really sorry. Can you e-mail my colleague Editor 4? He has done several articles on contraception and sexual enhancement aids in the past. He will sort it out


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: PR Executive
To: Editor 4
Subject: Durex play line competition with Time out

Dear Editor4,

I was in touch with a few of your work mates as you can see below till finally Editor3 informed me of the right man..being you:)

My clients are Durex and from the emails [above] we would like to run a competition with Time out magazine.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Best regards
PR Executive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Editor4
To: PR Executive
Subject: RE: Durex play line competition with Time out

Hi,

My colleague, Mr Editor3, is relatively new to the team, so I will forgive him on this occasion for getting his sexperts mixed up.

The person you should contact is our colleague Editor2 who I believe has written many acclaimed articles of this nature in the past, notably 'Locating the G spot - it's as easy as ABC', New York Times 2004, and 'Cecil, Ted & Bubba and a pocketful of rubber', San Francisco Herlad 1998.

He's your man.
Regards,
Editor4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: PR Executive
To: Editor 2
Subject: Durex play line competition with Time out

Dear Editor2,

It's taken a long journey to get here from the stream of emails below but I'm happy to hear from Editor4 about all the work you have done on sexual well being and HIV/AIDS social causes which I'm sure we could see how we can support you on any material or information you may ever need from DUREX.

Just to let you know Durex and albawaba.com have run a Middle East online sex survey last year which generated phenomenal results on the sexual habits of the Middle East region.

If you need statistics and more information on this, I can send across to you.

We will be conducting a new survey shortly this year as well. From my email [above] we would like to run a competition with Time out and Durex.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

PR Executive

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Editor2
To: PR Executive
Re: Durex play line competition with Time out

Hello
Thank you for your email. I must take up cudgels with my colleagues, who are labouring under the misapprehension that I am some kind of so-called "sexpert".

I am very shocked and horrified that they say these things about me.

I am a religious man and I do not discuss these things in private or indeed in public. I think it is all in very poor taste and to promote these products is quite contrary to the wishes and actions of decent minded Muslim individuals throughout the region.

And a Sex Survey? I can't believe such things exist in this country.

The very thought is upsetting in the extreme. I would very much like to read this sex survey. It would set my mind at ease.

I suggest if you wish to pursue this business, you take it up with my European colleagues who are much more "liberated" when it comes to such matters. I recommend you contact the gentleman who writes for our "gadget" magazine called "Charged", he is Editor1

With my best regards and hope that ultimately, you will find the correct recipient for your products, I remain

Yours
Editor2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: PR Executive
To: Editor2

Re: Durex play line competition with Time out

Dear Editor2,
With all due respect in no way are we offending religion.

Our main purpose is to promote products which are being sold all over the Middle East to educate people about "SAFE SEX" and social causes such as "HIV and AIDS" and that equals to "saving lives".... very much just like a "Drive Safe" message by wearing a seatbelt.

With regards to your misunderstanding internally within ITP, I'm afraid thats an internal matter and I should respect that and suggest that should be taken up internally with your colleagues.

Best regards

PR Executive
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



So, what do you think was the problem? :o)

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • my god she is soooo thick!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 27, 2007 at 9:29 PM  

  • I felt kind of sorry for the PR exec. She did seem a bit "whooshed" but even if she had guessed, she was probably trying to maintain a professional-as-possible front.

    I think where she went wrong was not starting the whole thing off on a far more humourous note. Ring the journalists in question, explain it over the phone, let them have a few sniggers, etc.

    And to cover your back, specify "married couples" for the tried and tested feature.

    There needed to some acknowledgement that this is (1) sex, so fnar fnar Matron, and (2) sex, so borderline haram in this part of the world.

    By Blogger secretdubai, at July 27, 2007 at 9:34 PM  

  • I salute this PR executive on her persistence. I mean she's handling a difficult job of promoting products that are related in our minds to (taboos) and (harams). But she has to be a little smarter, doesn't she?

    You can't promote Durex products as if you promote Soda Drinks or Mobile Phones. It has to be done in a much smarter way.

    By Blogger AyMoNy, at July 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM  

  • There is a fine line between working smart and working hard. She was working hard alright, but not that smart i am afraid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 28, 2007 at 6:28 PM  

  • The PR should should self in head :S I'd die if I was in that position and would end up voodooing everyone in the email

    By Blogger KJ, at July 29, 2007 at 12:46 AM  

  • Regardless of her credulity, during my time in Dubai I'm not sure I've ever come across a PR who was as persistent as this - good for her!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 31, 2007 at 10:08 PM  

  • I think she was being toyed with since the beginning. All editors knew that she will eventually end up contacting the religious dude and they were just prolonging her agony!

    I admire her sense of professionalism

    By Blogger Kinano, at August 7, 2007 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home