Dubai Consumer Mirror

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Urban Gladiators

Stories like this one is like a breath of fresh air in this mixture of airborne sand and cement dust that's clogging our sights as well as our souls these days.

The rush to meet day's end is making plenty of people forget other's who are less fortunate in the sandlands; petrol pump attendees, laborers, delivery men, messengers, security guards, waiters, cab drivers .. and the list goes on.

Scorching prices in rent and daily consumables is making living in the city very difficult to the well paid white collar worker. I don't even want to imagine how is it like for those on the Dhs 500/month payroll bracket.

All what I ask you to do every time you interact with any of those urban gladiators is to pause for a split second, and think of yourself in his or her shoes.

Do it for a week and let me know ...



Note: Special thanks goes to the Gulfnews reporter, Wafa Issa for the story.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I don't need a week.

    I do it every time I stop for petrol or drive through one of the fast food outlets.

    It's very sad to see people taking advantage of those unfortunate workers.

    I know it's not enough neither will make a big change, but every time I stop for fuel I tip the attendant a few dirhams, it at least eases the guilt.

    RnD

    By Blogger Unknown, at July 29, 2007 at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home