Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, September 25, 2008

UAE ATM Fraud

There is nothing worse than being stuck abroad without any money in your pocket – and this is what happened to me today in London.

I left my money behind in the hotel today and I am basically cashless and stuck in an offiste training all day.

My ATM card didn’t work and my HSBC bank guy told me that they have disabled International money withdrawals service on some networks because of the latest fraud scam that was all over the news.

Check out one of the ways those effing fraudsters swiped ATM users personal info.







Luckily, a colleague gave me 20 pounds to sort my self with..

7 Comments:

  • The whole thing's ridiculous - simply shutting down everyone's card is idiotic. How come this happens in the UAE but never happens in Europe? Never, in 30 years of owning ATM cards, has a bank cut me off. It's happened to me twice since being in Dubai.

    By Blogger redstar, at September 25, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

  • shit.. very dodgy stuff!
    i got an sms form my bank advising me to change my pin.. but like any proper arab, i always have more cash than plastic :)
    mory.. come back! hope it ain't too cold over there! Eid is soon :D

    By Blogger BuJ, at September 26, 2008 at 2:32 AM  

  • good post...this is a serious issue and the banks need to do something soon...

    By Blogger DeeplyDip, at September 26, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

  • I got ripped off 12000 AED - bank has promised to refund the fraudulent transactions, but they are not speculating how many months/year this will take. With such a low crime rate, maybe cash is safer in the UAE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 19, 2008 at 11:02 AM  

  • 6000 AED here :(
    Wish I saw you post two weeks ago!
    Also, good job with the pictures, how did you get them?

    By Blogger Unknown, at December 17, 2008 at 1:24 AM  

  • so sorry to hear that Ben & Ahmed... hope the banks make up your losses (good luck with that)

    Ahmed, i got the images from a powerpoint i recieved via email..

    By Blogger moryarti, at December 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM  

  • A lot of people suffer financially from ATM fraud and in some cases can destroy their life. It is very important that we protect our self from people that commit ATM Fraud.

    Your post is interesting..

    By Anonymous Simon, at October 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home