Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Augmantin ES 600

In our everyday lives, we deal with the good, the bad and the total idiot. I’ve developed fairly decent skills to handle the first two. It’s the third one that I still can’t handle well.

You see, my philosophy is that everyone has portion of ‘goodwill’. It is what makes an individual jump in, exercise knowledge and expertise for the purpose of doing good.

Unfortunately, many take that leap of faith after putting their brains aside. For some, this burst of goodwill can be so overwhelming; it impales any sense of real good judgment and sane decision making, resulting in the exact opposite: a total disaster.

This happened to me last night:

My daughter fell sick a few days ago and the doctor perscribed a medication that she couldn’t take in any from or matter. She hated the taste and threw up every time her mom or I try to give it to her. The following day, we asked the doctor for an alternative prescription, which I scribbled down on a yellow post-it note.

I tried a couple pharmacies in our area. First pharmacist said he hasn’t heard of such a medication before, and the other one tried to sell me something else instead.

“Augmantin ES 600 please, for children” I told the chemist at the third pharmacy I am trying now.

He handed me a box of tablets. “Try this,” he mumbled

“No please, can I have Augmantin…. ES 600? It’s for my daughter. Solution, not pills”

“No broblom sar, how old is he?”

“My daughter is 3”

“You see saaar, this Aawgmanten not coming 600. Only 126, 365 and 624. You give your daughter this one”

He placed another box, an bottle this time, on the counter. “You give him this, it is same” pointing at the bottle. It said Augmantin, but not ES 600.

“Are you sure? The doctor was specific with me on the phone. He said Augmantin ES 600, 7ml, twice a day.”

“Saar, I am telling. This Aawgmanten not coming ES 600.. Only this. You give your daughter, he will like.”

So there I was, at my third stop in a quest for this now mythical prescription. I am more open for alternative solutions, so to speak.

“Yeah, sure… you are the chemists after all, you should know better” I shrugged and reached out for my wallet.

I took a random glimpse at the shelves over pharmacist shoulder, and there it was, standing out in all its glory, RIGHT NEXT to the medicine bottle he is trying to sell me, in big bold fonts: Augmantin ES 600.

Do you know the rush you get when you realize that you are going to correct your teacher’s mistake in front of the entire classroom? Or when you point out an error your more senior co-worker has in his proposal or presentation? When you realize that you, for a brief moment in space & time, know more about something, than the subject matter expert standing in front of you?

Ooooh, I saw wanted to give it to him.

But I curbed it. My enthusiasm for intellectual vendetta was suppressed by the urge to grab the bottle and get the heck out of this place.

“Give me THAT one please,” I calmly pointed out to the medicine bottle behind him.

He picked it up, gave it a prolonged gaze, walked up to the cash register, scanned it, bagged it, all in total and slightly awkward silence.

6 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about the baby, hope she gets well soon.

    This guy isn't only an idiot, Mory, he's an outright liar too.

    By Blogger Dubai Jazz, at May 10, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

  • this is pure ignorance, but that's not the point.. the point is hope the lil one has her meds now and feels better asap. alf salame

    By Blogger BuJ, at May 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

  • And to think what this ALchemist was trying to give your kiddo!

    Hope she gets better dude.

    By Blogger KJ, at May 10, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

  • as a clinical pharmacist i apologize for the infinite ignorance and lack of regulation that exists in my profession in the ME. it seems that many technicians masquerade as chemists in the ME and slip thru regulation unlike in the west where the line is distinct!

    it's a matter of dollars and the lack of consentience, as one pharmacist costs as much as 10 techs!

    By Anonymous US RX, at May 11, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

  • eeeeeeeeeehehehehehehehehehehehhahaheehhhaha


    Hope she'll well now

    By Blogger Harsha, at June 11, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

  • and now you can report him for selling anti-biotics without a prescription.

    Best revenge ever.

    By Blogger CG, at June 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home