Dubai Consumer Mirror

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Regaining Balance

5 or 6 years ago. My life was 70% me-time and 30 for others. I used to read ... and MAN i used to read a lot. Almost a book every weekend. For that, i wrote for newspapers and magazines.

I blogged. And my blogs were on radio stations, newspapers and magazines at least once a month.

But i didn’t have much of a social life back then. I had a normal job that required focus on a single country and single city. It demanded lots of attention, true, but I carried much less responsibility - always had to revert to someone 'for approval'.

Now things have changed .. i think the spilt is 20-80 now .. where 20% is 'me time'.

My social life sky-rocketed, phone and SMS inbox gets packed with messages of BBQ gatherings, dinner parties and outings.

At work, i do less tactical work and more 'thinking and directing' - Everyone comes to me for advice and approvals - mind you from everywhere - Japan, via APAC and Europe all the way to the West pacific coast in the US.

I have 2 adorable children that I rather spend time with them than anything else.

In spite of all that, I feel under accomplished and internally unfulfilled... I sat down the other day to find out why; do a before-after comparison. I realised one thing. I don't read anymore. Its been 2 years and i haven't completed a single book.

Mind you, i have read 5 or 6 different books half way only, but never completed any.

I got these books out and i am planning to finishing them. One at a time, - not concurrently. Because that’s how one should focus on completing tasks. Once at a time. No matter how much of a great multi-tasker you are, focus on the present. Isolate everything and dedicate your energy on what you are doing now.

Lets see how will that work out…

7 Comments:

  • Very good words of wisdom about multi-tasking.

    Enjoy the books; reading is a great relaxer and expands the mind and imagination. Well done for identifying what you needed in your life.

    By Blogger Dave, at May 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

  • You can start with Samarkand which I just reviewed (if you're into novels instead of how-to books)

    I hear ya buddy, when I picked up reading again, things changed!

    By Blogger KJ, at May 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

  • And don't forget your gorgeous wife! :-)

    Same here - reading has disappeared from my hobbies.

    I put it down to 2 factors:

    1. I read so much online nowadays that I don't think to pick up a book for relaxation.

    2. I used to read a lot before going to sleep, but then I got reading glasses and it became more difficult to be comfortable reading in bed.

    I must get back into it. Thanks for the reminder, Mory.

    hugs from us both to you, Mrs M and the mini Ms.

    By Blogger nzm, at May 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM  

  • I agree, its been tough. I got around the problem by going didgital. Go to audible.com or .co.uk for english books and download to your ipod. Play in the car, gym and listen to while going to sleep.gibe your eyes a break!

    There is no turning back.

    T

    By Blogger DubaiMan, at May 6, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

  • you can employ someone to read the books you like, and if your summeriser recommends it then you can start with the books u like the summary of.

    anyway sorry to hear about the 70 to 20% reduction of me-time.. i think it'll rebound soon, especially as your two beautiful kids grow up and you realise u need to spend more time with them and that work will never finish.

    elmohim always always to be grateful for good health and may Allah always bless you and the family with loads of it :)

    By Blogger BuJ, at May 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

  • So what's the first book you're tackling?

    I blame lack of reading on the internet. Bad excuse I know, but it's true. I sometimes just feel that is SO much to read out there...it's kinda overwhelming!

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at May 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

  • Dave - thank you! will be enjoying the books for sure.

    KJ - thanks .. i'll give that book a try

    NSM - I totally agree ... i don't think reading online should take from our book reading habbits - miss you too as well.

    DubaiMan - I did that a while back when i used to get stuck in traffic. It was amazing.

    Buj - Thank God for everything ... wanna volanteer for that job? ;)

    DS - Its a book a bought a year back at some duty free I was in. ITs called the New Rules of Marketing & PR .. not bad so far.

    By Blogger moryarti, at May 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home