Dubai Consumer Mirror

Monday, April 03, 2006

Thank you Dubai Police

This is EXCELLENT news!

A great move by Dubai Police to crack-down on those morons I have to deal with every day. I just can't find a word to describe the frustration I go through every single day on Dubai roads.

Seriously, I make it a point that I always:

1. drive in middle lanes
2. slow down for pedestrians to safely cross the road
3. never use the hard shoulder
4. never cut lines or traffic queues
5. when i see a parked car trying to back up, i slow down to give the driver a chance to get on the road
6. don't race other cars
7. change lanes in advance
8. slow down to allow other cars ahead of me that are changing lanes
9. park like decent people and between lines
10. never block parked cars

Still, I have to deal with

1. flashers and tail-gators in all lanes at all speeds
2. morons behind who start honking, yelling and screaming whenever i slow down to allow an old woman to cross the road
3. getting stuck in traffic queues for at least 20 to 30 minutes more
4. spending 5 to 10 minutes sometimes just to back up my car (try that in SZR service road)
5. facing the wrath of line cutters because for some odd reason, they believe its their right of way.
6. being a victim of others engaging in street racing
7. people who decide to change lanes at the last minute from extreme left to extreme right, or viceversa
8. people who accelerate just to make sure i can't change lanes
9. spending 20 to 30 minutes looking for a parking space because some moron blocked 2 or 3 spaces
10. having to wait for that inconsiderate bastard to finish whatever useless errand he is running to move his/her car that is blocking my car, along with 3 others

13 Comments:

  • This morning, as I was entering Media City (off Sheikh Zayed Road), there were a couple of police motorcycles stopping anyone who was trying to cut the line (and giving them tickets I guess)....

    Let me tell you, it brought joy to my heart!!! I hope it serves these trouble-makers right :)

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at April 3, 2006 at 12:49 PM  

  • but the point is, people who can get fines cancelled, still don't care. and THEY are the ones who usually do all those moronic things on the road. well, mostly.

    By Blogger flamin, at April 3, 2006 at 1:28 PM  

  • md... are you playing innocent here?

    Moryarti... I'm apologizing in advance, because I AM one of those asshole drivers. Unfortunately I just don’t have the patience to put up with all the road-shit you’ve mentioned here, and still be the nicer more rational person. Sometimes, you just don’t want to be the better person… Or at least, that goes for me (but I’m rather immature).

    I drive a Maxima. If you ever happen to come across me, and I pull one of those stunts; send an email my way and I’ll try my hardest to make it up to you…

    By Blogger Tainted Female, at April 3, 2006 at 3:49 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger marwan, at April 3, 2006 at 4:52 PM  

  • If only everyone was like you, Mori. Dubai driving is like some advanced form of juvenile delinquency, where each one tries harder to 'get away with it' than the next. Speeding is not the issue, it's simple driver courtesy.

    But as much as I argue for proper driver education, it is only fair to note that certain people, like MD noted, will always receive carte blanche. And when other road users notice this, they too feel liberated from road rules. To quote the cliche,it's a vicious cyle and in the end, only decent road users get affected.

    Crack down from the top.

    By Blogger marwan, at April 3, 2006 at 4:54 PM  

  • Drive as much as I do around Dubai Marina area and it's not the 'people who can get fines cancelled' who are the problem. They're not the ones 'who usually do all these moronic things' in this area.

    By Blogger Seabee, at April 3, 2006 at 6:34 PM  

  • tainted: lolll well i try to :)) i do some of the moronic things that moryarti mentioned but i do to the morons, to give them a taste of their own poison :)

    seabee: it's only one area that u mention. we're talking about general driving in dubai.

    i agree with marwan. if u see 5 people drive on the hard shoulder, then others are going to think, "hey why am i killing myself in the traffic? i might as well drive over it too.."

    By Blogger flamin, at April 4, 2006 at 11:30 AM  

  • Thank god the dubai police finally woke up the fact of gaining a weeks revenue in a single day. The best way is to introduce a commission based system. More tickets = more in the cops pocket. Then they'll work overtime and before you know it, the Metro project will be scrapped.

    /wakes up from dream//

    By Blogger archer14, at April 4, 2006 at 1:52 PM  

  • Everyone in UAE should be tested once a year. Ya3ny this will keep driving skill level up and perhaps lesson traffic aswell.

    Dr please link me with my new name. The wolrd must be warned of my return.

    muwahaha!

    By Blogger Jassim, at April 5, 2006 at 10:06 AM  

  • md said; seabee: it's only one area that u mention. we're talking about general driving in dubai.

    I accept we're talking about Dubai in general, I mentioned Marina because I drive around there every day and the vast majority of stupid driving there is by caucasians. But I also see all nationalities - or should that be ethnicities? - driving like lunatics all over Dubai. To pin it on one group isn't accurate.

    By Blogger Seabee, at April 5, 2006 at 3:53 PM  

  • Are a lot of people injured or killed in car accidents there?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 5, 2006 at 11:00 PM  

  • Ummali .. UAE comes Second after KSA in highest road fatality figures in GCC.

    Ironically, is not because of poor road conditions of malfunctioning cars, its plain bad driving attitude and carelessness

    By Blogger moryarti, at April 6, 2006 at 11:20 AM  

  • I always wondered at why it is the (a)Bu Dhabi license plate holders that are mostly seen as offenders on Dubai roads?

    Is it because they have enough wasta layed down for them in Abu Dhabi in case Dubai police issue them a "mukhaleefa"?

    Today, I saw at least 7 glamour cars doing 180 on the highway. Yes, on the hard shoulder.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 7, 2006 at 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home