Dubai Consumer Mirror

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Working with the right people

It is really frustrating when your success/performance is heavily dependant on others' ingenuity, intelligence or competence.

This is why when working with a contractor, for whatever project, its makes a load of difference to work with ones that have a decent reputation.

For example today, we are running a big event for our partners. I am not involved in the organization of the it, but was asked if I could help arranging a photographer for the entire event.

I told my agency who sorted it out to have 2 photographers covering the event from 8:00am till 11:00pm in 2 shifts.

First photographer arrived, all is fine. Second photographer arrives at around noon time. Photographer 1 goes like "but i was told to stay till 11:00pm".

So, the events team (who are already maxed out) call me asking why do we have 2 photographers, we don't have the budget ... bla bla

I call the agency who called the photography studio who called the photographer who called the studio back who called the agency back who called me back so that I call the events team back to tell them this:

"The receptionist at the photography studio forgot to tell the photographer that he only has to stay half day."

Putting aside the unwanted distraction to much more important things at the event, how much billable time did that waste for at least 9 people across 3 organizations?

A quick $ per man-hour count lead to a atleast $500 worth of wasted time - just because someone simpley forgot.

This is why, when you are looking for an agency, a contractor or any form of 3rd party organisation, make sure you end up with one that saves your time.

Because time, my friend, is your most valuable asset.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home