Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, June 04, 2006

So, what was the deal?

Loyal followers to this blog (4 or 5 of them) have been wondering lately where I have been hiding all this time. Lack of posts, barely visible on other blogs and if I ever blog, posts don't exceed 2 or 3 lines.

Let us just say that the past 2 to 3 months have not been very conventional. It all started after a couple of weeks of joining my new job, the company's president decided make a first-of-its-kind visit to the UAE. The preparations for that visit were a living nightmare. We literally stayed up about 4 days and night straight. The visit went very well and the big guy met Dubai's who's who starting with Sh. Mohammed and all the way down.

One week after that visit, the person I reported to "decided" to move on. The MD decided to appoint me to take over my old manager's job until they find a replacement. So, here I was working in a company for about 5 minutes and already with 2 roles to carry, leading a team of 6 people, covering about 9 regional markets with a multi million dirhams budget to worry about.

Oh, and who do i report to? the region's MD – a person which the term “ is living on a plane” is an understatement. Meaning that if I had any questions or wondering about anything? My answer is: "tough luck buddy, try the corporate Intranet".

On top of all that, most of you know that I have a 3 months old baby (who was about 1 month back then). And for those out there who have children, I am sure you know what I mean. Enough said.

On the other hand, My car's insurance and registration expired around the same time we had our baby. So, renewing the car paperwork was the last thing on my mind.

One day i decided that I am thru with taking side roads, dodging and evading police patrol cars, leaving home to work really REALLy early or really REALY late to avoid police stopping me and asking for my expired registration card. So, on a surprisingly slow day at work, I decided to head to Tasjeel (Car registration renewal and mechanical check facility). My car did not only fail the mechanical test, it broke down right then and there. Can this be any more embarrassing?

Anyhow, I took a cab, head home and towed the car next morning to the car mechanic. Got my car fixed and gave the body and nice scrub. Car passed the exam and looks new.

On that same weekend, I got a call from my brother who informed me that doctors discovered that my uncle (one of the few ones I like) was diagnosed with cancer at its very late stages. I couldn't travel because my visa/residence papers were not sorted out. Why? Because some lame-ass accountant in my old company was holding my end-of-service benefits cheque because of a business related email that he claimed I never sent.

Three tormenting weeks pass by and after mega-wasta muscles flexing, I got my VISA stamped on a Wednesday and got my passport Thursday afternoon. My uncle passed away on that Friday.

I spoke to him once on the phone, he knew I couldn't make it. So, I spent that entire night looking for an early flight to make sure I catch up the funeral and handing over urgent work related tasks.

I grabbed the 8 am flight and I arrived around the same time with my brother and a couple of cousins who flew from Kuwait. I spent 3 days in mourning, met relative I haven’t seen for over 15 years, managed to miss my flight back to Dubai and spent half of my money on the business calls.

The trip has been very emotional. I attended funerals, but never been thru the whole thing (washing, wrapping, carrying and laying into the grave..etc). That was when I shut this blog down for a few days. It was a very moving experience to say the least.

So, today at work, I am still looking after 2 jobs while am being paid for one only, I am more in control of things and the replacement person should be on board soon.

I hope that explains my lack of inactivity here. Back then, Blogging hasn't been one the top of my to-do list. Though I did go to bed every night with horrible sense of guilt towards this place, the wonderful people I know and what they do or say.

Its good to be back …

13 Comments:

  • *hugz* sorry about your uncle. that really sux. great uncles are a rarity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 4, 2006 at 11:48 PM  

  • Glad you are back, and sorry for all you have gone through. Remember you never have to blog regularly, despite the roaring angry crowds desperate for your words ;)

    By Blogger secretdubai, at June 5, 2006 at 12:12 AM  

  • It's good to have you back Moryarti. True, you don't have to blog every day, but don't stay away for so long next time :)

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at June 5, 2006 at 12:33 AM  

  • My condolences to your uncle, Mori.

    Good to see you again. Your posts are a pleasure and i'm glad I have the opportunity to read you *at all*, regardless of frequency.

    By Blogger marwan, at June 5, 2006 at 7:19 AM  

  • Good to see you back.

    I hope that Mini M still knows what her papa looks like, and that Mrs M still recognises her husband!

    By Blogger nzm, at June 5, 2006 at 9:45 AM  

  • Moryarti

    So sorry about your uncle.

    To go through a moving experience as you put it somehow always ends up making us wiser.

    I follow your blog regularly and if there isn't an update I'm disappointed but there are more important things in life then blogging.

    Take it easy dude and we all know how it feels to do the job of 3 and get paid for one.

    My heart goes out to you!

    now yalla khalas bala el za3al wo 'ool ya rab!

    By Blogger inmotion, at June 5, 2006 at 9:55 AM  

  • sincere Condoleances :(

    By Blogger Herlock Sholmes, at June 5, 2006 at 11:57 AM  

  • Wow! Tough three weeks, sorry 'bout your uncle.

    But welcome back to BlogLand

    By Blogger Keef, at June 5, 2006 at 3:49 PM  

  • So sorry to hear about your uncle Professoré. I know how you feel. This jan I lost my uncle who was like a father to me and I was devastated. he too was suddenly diagnosed with last stages of cancer. Ironically his cancer was improving with them chemo and then just a week before he was to travel to visit us he suddenly had a heart attack and we lost him.
    I couldnt travel because with the death of some royal family member and eid holidays I couldnt get a visa. If it hadnt been for CG and her support I dont know how I would have made it.
    may Allah bless his soul, forgive his sins and grant him jannat.
    Pray as much as you can for that is the only thing you can do for his soul.
    Its good to have you back and may allah give you sabr.

    By Blogger *, at June 6, 2006 at 9:26 AM  

  • inna lilah wa inna ilayhi raji3oon.

    life does not stop for us, but blogging can.

    By Blogger BuJ, at June 7, 2006 at 11:18 AM  

  • Thank you all for the kind words.. as buj said, life won't stop..

    By Blogger moryarti, at June 8, 2006 at 1:36 PM  

  • Its great to have you back and blogging, or power blogging to redeem yourself :)

    By Blogger Abha Malpani, at June 8, 2006 at 10:03 PM  

  • welcome back moryarti. When it rains, it pours it seems...but things will only get better.
    Allah yir7amo.

    By Blogger sky, at June 9, 2006 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home