Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Zune or iPod?

I was never impressed by this whole iPod thing. The player is too big and the small one (Nano) has some serious performance issues. Plus, and as far as music entertainment is concerned, I am very happy with the 50hr playtime Sony Walkman mp3 player my brother got me on my birthday.

Thing is, I've been missing out on a lot of good TV shows like 24, lost ...etc; you know, because of all the traveling, long working hours, and mainly for spending more time being stuck in traffic than anything else.

A friend suggested getting the iPod with the MPEG4 player. Convert dvds to mpg4 files (or just download them :P ) and watch them while in the plane or when stranded in the 3hr pseudo-drive to work.

So, lately, I've been hitting Virgin, Plugins and CompuMe stores to check out which iPod, what colors, what accessories ..etc.

It was until I heard that
Microsoft is rolling out Zune.





According to engadget, Zune should be out in US markets around the holidays season this December. It also seems our friends in Gizmodo believe that Zune will actually take on iPod -
See here.

Me want ..

7 Comments:

  • Yes, and I have 'heard' that there will be more stuff in the Zune than they have already announced. I think the didn't do it before because they wanted to do it right. We have waited a long time, and shall be rewarded well with the Zune.

    By Blogger CG, at September 21, 2006 at 11:01 AM  

  • Or just get an Epson P4000 which acts as an external hard-drive when plugged into a computer, and connects to TVs, monitors and AV equipment!

    I have the P2000 - I love it!

    The only thing that I would recommend is to also buy a spare battery.

    By Blogger nzm, at September 21, 2006 at 11:52 AM  

  • Zune's shelf life will be questionable, seeing as they took an off the shelf Toshiba player and rebranded it to make Christmas. Expect something much better next year.

    But in the here and now - Zune's interface looks pretty neat and the size is right. The wireless transfer stuff is quite handy too - except that whatever you get that way can only be listened to three times, and before three days are up.

    I second your friend's idea: make your own content! Then it doesn't matter what player you buy.

    Me, I'll stick with my 5G 'Pod and its handy-dandy interface.

    By Blogger marwan, at September 21, 2006 at 12:37 PM  

  • from what i've heard, the Zune has some freaky DRM restrictions; I'd avoid it at all costs.

    By Blogger samuraisam, at September 22, 2006 at 4:58 AM  

  • You ARE such a techno-geek :)

    By Blogger Dubai Sunshine, at September 22, 2006 at 9:53 AM  

  • not sure, around next year for sure

    By Blogger moryarti, at September 30, 2006 at 2:11 AM  

  • I also have a crappy mp3 player, and was thinking of watching lost and prison break when stuck in dubai traffic instead of listening to music.

    Zune definitly looks better to me, both have around the same price tag but it wont be available globally until a 2007 Q4.

    The Epson thingy nzm mentioned is too expensive, almost double the price. Im looking in to creative products for now to see if i can find something reasonable. If not i'll have no choice but an ipod video.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2006 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home