Dubai Consumer Mirror

Saturday, August 04, 2007

On "Who the hell was that?"

I've had my fair share of working in show business. I spent a good couple of years working with renowned Film/TV/music clips/commercials director Tarek Al Ariyan. It was fun working for him. I was involved in the production of at least 3 video clips and actually modeled in one that i think never made the airwaves.

Last night while walking around Mall of the Emirates, I spotted the director, his wife -Syrian Diva Asala Nasri- and her younger brother.

Me: Mr. Tarek, Hi.
TA: Hi!
Me: Do you remember me sir? Its me, moryarti.
TA: I am sorry, please remind me again?
Me: I worked in your production company back in Cairo.. worked on Amr Diab, Assi El Hillani and Hisham Abbas clips. You got me in that Saudi guy's music clip because he didn't want to pay for a male model.
TA (laughing): Oh right right ... yes. How are you? you live here?
Me: Yes... oh.. by the way, this is my wife/

Mrs. M says hi to Tarek, Asala and her brother.

TA: So where do you work now?
Me: I am working in technology now .. left this whole show-business business back in Cairo

Odd moment of silence hits - time for the exit queue.

Me: Its nice seeing you again sir.... (turning around to Asala Nasri) ....and its a pleasure to meet you in person Madam Nasri.
Asala: Likewise.


We walked away.


Wife: Do you think he remembered you?
Me: He. has. no. clue.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • You gotta excuse him for not remembering you, he has a good excuse.

    They're both preoccupied with the $ 5 Million lawsuit against them. Considering the circumstances, I'd say he was very polite. :)

    By Blogger Who-sane!, at August 4, 2007 at 2:09 PM  

  • Impressive! LoL. These people meet hundreds per day, I doubt they don't have post-its on their kid's names so they don't forget.

    By Blogger KJ, at August 4, 2007 at 4:34 PM  

  • hehehe.. I admire your honesty :)

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 5, 2007 at 3:01 PM  

  • I feel for him. I often meet people who recognise me (for no particularly good reason, I have to say - I'm not interesting/talented/famous/infamous in any way) and I draw a complete blank on them: I'm just bad at remembering people and meet a lot of them. So you get those appalling 'remember the time you set fire to my kids?' conversations and you're standing smiling a holding pattern smile and saying 'Yeeeessss... of couuuuurse'.
    Horrible.

    By Blogger Alexander, at August 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM  

  • PS: It's good to have you back to blogging! I have to remember to check ur blog more often than my previous once a month.. yay.. but don't worry.. I won't thank etisalat for that :)

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 6, 2007 at 11:45 AM  

  • Who's-sane (sounds like Hussain). Thanks for dropping by bro. Yeah, its not easy walking around with such a lawsuit on your back.

    KJ - Knowing this guy and how he was before, its nice to see him settling down ;)

    Buj- thanks man, its nice to be back (in a way!)

    Alex - been there, done that - not good :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 6, 2007 at 4:55 PM  

  • Hey Mory:

    Offtopic but remember your post about this movie?

    To be released on September 28th - we're getting "Coming Soon" previews of it in Melbourne!

    By Blogger nzm, at August 8, 2007 at 4:46 PM  

  • NZM...cool!

    Don't think that will ever make it here though.

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home