Dubai Consumer Mirror

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Face to face with death this morning.... twice

What you are about to read happened this morning at approximately 9:20 AM. Everything you will read happened to the letter and without any exaggeration.

It all started when I followed my wife this morning to the car dealer to drop her car for the regular oil service. On our way back, we decided to drive home so that I can take my other car to work and she can spend the rest of the day using mine. (.. yeah yeah I have 2 cars -rolling eyes)

Few blocks away from home, I took the usual road that leads to our block. The road was only 2 lanes, a single lane in each direction.

Down the road, I spotted a silver Peugeot that quickly overtook a bus coming in the opposite direction. The Peugeot got on my side of the road, driving in my direction but quickly swerved back into the right lane.

They do that here all the time on this road. And the Peugeot was relatively at a safe distance from where I was, so I maintained my speed -which was about 50kph.

Suddenly a white Toyota Prado popped out from behind the same bus, got on the wrong side of the road, coming in my direction (again) and started to pick up speed.

I slowed down, trying to give the Prado a chance to either slow down and get back into his lane or accelerate and take over the bus. Instead, the Prado decided to maintain speed, not over take the bus and stayed driving in my direction.

The Prado was locked on a imminent collision course with yours truly.

I immediately maneuvered to the extreme right, off the tarmac and onto the dirt; with my wife's "lookouts" and "what the hell?" in the background AND milliseconds before the Prado passes by barely missing the tip of my left side mirror.

I looked back and saw at least 3 cars that were behind me that did what I did to let the Prado take over their lane as well.

Furious and scorching with rage, with all the power my 8-cylinder, 4.5L, untamed Bavarian muscle can give, I made a 180 and caught up with that @#$%^ing Kamikaze who was stopped by a red light down the same road.

I got out of the car, walked towards the white SUV, Adrenalin pouring out of my ears and ready to rumble.

About to commence my barrage of verbal (and potentially physical) abuse, the white Prado driver rolled down the heavily tinted window.

It was a Woman.

She looked European.

"I am sorry, I am sorry, I am new to Dubai, I am new to Dubai," she preempted me with what sounded like an Irish accent.

Taken off guard by the fact she was a mid-aged woman, I went: "DO YOU want to KILL yourself? What the heck are YOU DOING?"

"I didn't know it was a 2 way street, I am sorry, I am sorry"

Then I spotted a 2-year old toddler in his chair on the back seat of the car. And that sight just drove me MAD!

"YOU ARE DRIVING LIKE THAT WITH YOUR CHILD IN THE BACK?" I yelled.. "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU."

At that moment I walked away and head back into my car.

I turned the car around again and drove back on the same road, took a ONE WAY side road that usually takes me straight to our building.

While I was telling my wife about the child in the back seat of the Prado, she yelled "LOOK OUT" ... And I SLAMMED the breaks!

A muthafckingcocksuckingasswipescumbag sharjah plate pickup driver was in the opposite direction of the ONE WAY road I was on.

His truck stopped a few inches away from my car. But after seeing how I got out of it and almost running in his direction, he quickly turned left and drove into another side road in the opposite direction as well!

This shitface was deliberately trying to take a short cut to catch the near by exist, not considering that he was in a blind spot and in the opposite direction of incoming traffic.

"God! How will this day end?" I said to my self.

Both drivers got away with being Bona-fide morons-on-wheels today, and I dodged two potential appointments with Mr. Lucifer & Co in less than 5 minutes.

I needed to release all my compound steam on somebody!

I dialed 800 9090.




I will leave the rest to your imagination.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Good on you for going after them; the people that really irk me are the ones do the whole flashing thing and then overtake and reduce speed... there is a certain fuckface in a yellow porche carrera I've experienced doing this once to myself and seem him doing it again to someone else on another day (before exiting at the 'salini' interchange (i.e. defence roundabout)); when I get close enough to write down that assholes numberplate, all hell is going to break loose.

    By Blogger samuraisam, at August 2, 2007 at 12:33 AM  

  • Glad both you and the Mrs are okay.

    That European lady, I can with "two Panadol pills" understand that she might have been new to Dubai and did not notice the Two Way sign on the road.

    But what the f**k was wrong with that pick-up driver?

    I've been driving in and out of that area a lot lately, and hell the roads can be confusing. Sometimes you just keep going round in circles and going back to square one.

    I am glad Baby M was not with you when you experienced the two morons-on-wheels.

    RnD

    By Blogger Unknown, at August 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM  

  • Moryarti,

    hamdella 3ala salamtak. I dont know what I wouldve done to that woman or truck driver. Ignorance drives me MAADDDDDD, MAD MAD. its not a fucking excuse "oh sorry, am an ignorant". damn it.

    By Blogger Yazan, at August 2, 2007 at 10:17 AM  

  • 7amdella 3a salamtak man... I didn't know you were married.. hope the Mrs. is ok as well.

    Even if the lady were new to DXB, I am sure she noticed cars coming in her direction.

    Anyway I do not want to fuel your anger. It is a weekend - I suggest you take a break from the roads. Sit with family, enjoy the comfort of your home and leave your anger outside the house walls.

    Wish you well.

    By Blogger KJ, at August 2, 2007 at 3:09 PM  

  • oh man.. first of all Elhamdilla 3al salame... and 2nd of all.. i think that Irish woman was a liar... she must be on drugs or on the phone.. uff people don't realise that every car is a potential lethal weapon.. no responsibility when driving at all!

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 5, 2007 at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home