Dubai Consumer Mirror

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Always seek a second opinion

A couple of months back, my laptop screen split in 4 quarters, exactly like this guy's problem here. So, I googled the problem and read in a forum that it may be a faulty graphics card or screen. So, I dropped it at HP's service center, Emitac, in Garhoud.

After 10 days and a numerous phone calls to Emitac, they emailed me an estimate stating that my screen needs replacement, along with other internal components- and it will cost me about Dhs 1800/-.

The only problem here was, I bought the laptop for Dhs 2000 and -except the split screen- everything in it is working fine. It was just a display problem. So, I paid an "inspection fee" of Dhs 200/- and took it back without the repair.

It was a personal laptop (I use an IBM ThinkPad for work), and i didn't feel like paying all that money to fix a relatively new (13 months), lightly used laptop. I'll connect it to an external monitor and use it for downloads only - it has a 160 GB hard drive.

My brother visited me and told me that he knows an IT shop that could fix it.

So, showed it to them and to my surprise, the screen didn't need replacement and was working fine - the engineer took it out and tested it on another laptop and it worked just fine. The graphics card was fine as well, it is built-in with the motherboard.

The problem was in a connection between the two that needed replacing. So, they fixed it and the laptop is working like a charm now.

Oh, and it cost me Dhs 150/- ONLY, that is including home pick up and drop off service.

Can you fucking believe these Emitac rip-offs?

11 Comments:

  • I do recall I told you it is a connector problem! I demand my 150 AED promptly!

    Seriously though, it's as though most things here are designed to rip us off. From etisalat's exorbitant prices for its mediocre services to things like your case.

    God bless Sharjah and Ajman!

    By Blogger KJ, at June 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

  • Hear ya Mory!

    "God bless Sharjah and Ajman!"

    Amen to that bro!

    By Blogger rosh, at June 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

  • you should publish the contact details of the "good" shop, i need my computer to be fixed
    having similar problem, with the screen
    please advice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM  

  • Elena, what's the problem? if your screen is split, cover one of the halfs and save your 150 DH.

    Seriously though, you remember Mory when I posted about my trouble with HP service last year? well, my laptop burned 4 MBs, which would have cost me 4800 DH (according to them), but only cost 450 DH; the price for 3 years inclusive warrantee. Yes, thankfully I was covered.

    But this is not Emitac btw, they are called Redington and they're in Al Qusais.

    By Blogger Dubai Jazz, at June 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

  • by any chance you have their telephone contact?
    would you be so kind to give me that??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 15, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

  • Elena - thats the downside of this story. The place is actually outside the UAE. In Kuwait, to be exact ... sorry

    Rosh, KJ - Amen to that too ... if you know any good places there can you share so that Elana can benifit?

    DJ - I realised one thing ya Jazz ... shops with fancy names should stick to enterprise customers only - when it comes to small business and consumers, better off looking for the smaller shops

    By Blogger moryarti, at June 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

  • well in kuwait .....that doesnt help
    back home i could also repair it for free
    but i m here and i need some decently priced repair shop

    By Blogger Unknown, at June 20, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

  • Shocking news.
    I just bought my daughter and HP Touchsmart pc, O M G. What will I do when it breaks....ughhhhhhhh

    By Blogger CG, at June 23, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

  • well its been a while but my sister's laptop - guess what an HP - did the same four split screen thing with the added benefit of shutting down on its own every few minutes

    emitac suggested the same crap and then i remembered ud talked about this so i said need that IT shop's contact.

    So now i know its in kuwait and this sucks .. since ur in dubai and im not .. could you like ask around for a good it repair shop ..

    please and let me know :D

    on email

    By Blogger inmotion, at July 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

  • i also had the same prob with my HP laptop (split screen) and broguth it to EMITAC sometime in feb. my laptop then was only abt 4mos old. since it was under warranty, they didnt charge me anything. now, i am having another problem with it (hangs, wifi not working, not charging and all others) crap. it's not even a year old. I'll bring it back to EMITAC and see what they'll do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

  • Emitac has Manager which was an engineer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home