Dubai Consumer Mirror

Monday, October 26, 2009

Realestate Fraud

Another example to how sad and disgusting the property market here has become...

Thirty eight families will find out later on Sunday if they are to be evicted from their homes in Discovery Gardens after paying a year’s rent upfront to a brokerage firm which turned out not to be the landlord.

Everyone who is involved in this story is an accomplice:
Corporate Business Solutions (CBS) - I hope they find the owner and leave him/her to rot in jail
RERA - for lukewarm reaction and not taking a strong stand with the real victim here
Meraas - for choosing to blame and go after the victims, not the culprit
RE agents - for blackmailing tenants for their commission money back in return of waiving liability.

Here is my question: If the brokerage firm in question (CBS) was not the landlord, how did they have keys to the units and managed to handover apartments to tenant to move in and officially register DEWA and all? Something doesn't smell right here at all ..

I hope that everyone mentioned above sleep warm and cozy in their beds at night knowing that they can be responsible for throwing out 38 families in the street. Sick.

11 Comments:

  • criminal...

    By Blogger Susan , at October 26, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

  • This really is a strange one with so many unanswered questions, as you point out. I wonder whether we'll ever know the true answers and exactly who is involved in the fraud.

    By Blogger Seabee, at October 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

  • It really is a disgrace. I'm speechless.

    By Anonymous Christopher Saul, at October 26, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

  • wow... now this is totaly disgusting...

    i was reading this and my hands on my heart coz my girl friend has recently moved in to Discovery gardens,

    totaly disapointing and too many questions to ask.. i just hope the real story is reaveled and that its not covered by a blanket later on

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

  • The pathetic aspect of this is that the tenants are being held accountable and are facing eviction when they had no idea what they got into in the first place!

    From what I know agents have keys to lots of apartments and if the guy showing you around doesn't have something to your liking he/she might ask another agent/friend who handles a different set of apartments... probably the tenants fell into this cross-cultural real estate abuse?

    But still like you said how did they register the DEWA if they don't have the paper from the landlord/multiplex as well as landlord's passport copy

    By Blogger KJ, at October 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

  • I totally agree. Something fishy going on here. I know people in Doha who this happened to but I put it down to Doha being such a god forsaken place. But Dubai?

    It's clearly a scam that the owner is in on.

    By Blogger giasi, at November 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

  • If you read the article in full it explains how CBS had the keys. They had leased the full building from the owner and then given it out to Agents to sub-lease. CBS had given agents forged documents stating that they had permission to sub lease.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

  • Terrible

    By Blogger BuJ, at November 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

  • I have an apartment in international city, Dubai and I am also a victim of these unscrupulous criminals, namely CBS. Because my residency visa had expired, my sponsor was out of UAE and I was not allowed visitor visa to enter Dubai and sort this out. Now my sponsor has assured me of visa renewal but I have lost valuable time and money (about 8 bounced cheques. I hope the Dubai admin. does something about this because it is basically their responsibility.

    By Blogger Unknown, at December 17, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

  • Good Morning Professore
    I saw Sherlock Holmes the other night and the references to Moriarity made me smile.
    I thought of you. How have you been old friend.

    By Blogger kaya, at January 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

  • I am a victim of this. The landlord gave the keys to the 'agent' to rent the property. the 'agent' then went to another agents and told them she was the landlord. I handed over my cheque to the 'landlord' who cashed the cheque and fled the country with everyone else's money too.
    I'm now 50k dhs out of pocket and facing eviction every day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home