Dubai Consumer Mirror

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Mall of the Emirates

It was my first trip the Mall of the Emirates couple of days ago. I have been hearing mixed opinions about the place. This my $0.02 worth:

Getting into the mall's parking lot was relatively smooth. The multi-story parking was quite ample, easy to navigate through and very well lit: something I am noticing more in newer malls these days. The individual car spaces, however, aren't as specious. So, if you are the paranoid type who worries about his car getting door dinged, suggest you look for a parking space between 2 European cars with market value of over Dhs 100k each.

Access to the shopping area hasn't been a problem as there were several entrances. I do propose you mark the shops next to the entrance you use, as this will be the only thing that will remind of the closest exist to your car on your way out.

As you go in, the overall 'finish' of the mall is definitely a plus. Flooring, rails and ceilings remained me of malls I've been to in KL, Malaysia; That’s another thing Dubai is trying to rip off from KL ;)

My first impression as a walked in: "seems like an upgraded version of Diera City Centre". But a closer looks was definitely in order and i did spot stores i didn't see before. One thing that attracted my attention is the shops layout. It is obvious that there is an effort to arrange shop locations as per activity - especially in the upper floor. The ground floor was the usual mishmash of shoes, accessories, cloths and random coffee shops. Of course its needless to mention the highly electronics appliances playing fields with their psychedelic florescent lights.

Some people may take this for granted, but the direction signs inside the mall were very clear and consistently visible. Why am i appreciating this? Try finding the public bathrooms in Madinat Jumeirah and you'll know what i mean :)

I am gonna keep my final verdict till the mall is fully operational, but I do have to say that overall feeling as i drove out of the place was content.

7 Comments:

  • I have not been there yet and doubt that I ever will. I am a die-hard souq person. Meena bazaar gives me more pleasure, better prices and a nice falouda to devour when I get back to my car (parking still sucks...at least it has always been that way!)

    CG

    By Blogger CG, at October 23, 2005 at 7:32 PM  

  • Chevygirl,

    You are obviously a remnant of the Sheikh Rashid era...

    If you enjoyed Meena Bazaar you will also like:

    ...Al Sabhka Souq (opp. Al Manal Centre) and the general surrounding area...especially on a Friday evening...gives new meaning to the term "mass of humanity"...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 25, 2005 at 2:21 PM  

  • hmmm I think you have got me fairly well sussed, except Friday evening???? no no, never ever. I don't go ANYWHERE on Fridays. I do sometimes have a quick look around that area but it was a whole lot better when it was made out of boxes (before the whole lot burned down).

    By Blogger CG, at October 25, 2005 at 9:23 PM  

  • CG - i am totally with you on staying home on Fridays; though, things are a bit better now with people having more options like Ibn Battuta, Emirates Mall and the new soon-to-be Zabeel Mall.

    By Blogger moryarti, at October 25, 2005 at 11:52 PM  

  • Malls again?
    What is it with you guys and malls?
    It's like people who are glued to the internet....GET A LIFE....wouldnt you rather spend a day swimming, reading a book or anything that is generally good for the body, mind an soul? MALLS? they entice you to buy things that you would never have thought about nor needed, you have to battle traffic and nasty people and you come home feeling drained, empty in pocket (especially if you have kids) and cannot understand why you are hungry when you have just spent a fortune on fast food.

    CG

    By Blogger CG, at October 26, 2005 at 11:53 AM  

  • we had to do a lot of gift shopping for our trip to Kuwait .. plus, my wife is 6 months pregnant ... goodbye Zara and Massimo and hallo MotherCare and babyshop :..(

    By Blogger moryarti, at October 27, 2005 at 10:58 AM  

  • oh 6 months...yipes.
    well your shopping habits will change won't they. In fact they will not resemble what you used to call shopping ;)

    By Blogger CG, at October 28, 2005 at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home