Dubai Consumer Mirror

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sleepless In California

I did mention that I have several posts in my "saved" folder. Here is one of my first when I arrived to California about 10 days ago...

12:00 - 02:00 Boarding for EK flight bound to NY
02:00 - 16:00 Non-stop flight through the night (and day) to New York.
15:00 - 17:00 Waiting on JFK Tarmac cause some lame-ass pilot was hogging the EK gate
17:00 - 17:45 Waiting inline for Passport control check
17:30 - 19:00 Did all the "registration work" at passport check
19:00 - 20:30 Roaming around JFK looking for American Airlines flight to San Francisco
20:00 - 01:00 Caught the flight to San Francisco on AA: Discovered a whole new meaning for the concept of "budget airlines"
01:00 - 02:30 Filling 'Missing Baggage Report' at AA lost luggage desk
02:30 - 04:00 Shuttle service from San Francisco to San Jose
04:00 - 06:00 looking around Santana Row for somewhere/something to eat..
06:00 - 07:00 first time to have sea food for breakfast (it was dinner time in San Jose)
08:00 - sleep - at last

I just woke up. I think the jet lag will take some time to wear off. My eyes are still red and everything around is in slow motion. One would think you can have enough sleep on that 15hr DXB-JFK flight ... but how could I with the inhumanly impossible leg/knee space on EK flights? People all around me farting/burping all night long - I swear, I was this close to permanently losing the sense of smell? When everytime I attempt to close my eyes, the super-sized-super-bright LCD screen light went thru my head like a hot skewer cutting thru butter? Oh and with that insomniac moron, 2 rows behind me, laughing all night long at comedy movies? What a flight!

Oh well.. got to sleep for a few more hours, but I still can't sleep well enough. This lost luggage thing is keeping my mind busy. Let hope I get them tonight (as promised) - otherwise, it will be a "Credit Card Go Wild at Nordstrom Day" tomorrow..

See ya

6 Comments:

  • Wow - happy trails, huh? :-)

    And you got the special treatment at JFK at immigration!

    Don't worry, they use that excuse of a plane at the gate at JFK all the time. Sometimes it feels like you spend more time on the ground at JFK than you do in the air to get there.

    By Blogger nzm, at August 6, 2006 at 9:49 PM  

  • I do that trip four or five times a year! The shock of the AA flight after 15 hours on Emirates is a real shock to the system, especially if you've been lucky enough to get upgraded for the DXB JFK part.

    I find the seats in economy on that flight a lot more uncomfy than on other EK planes. Not sure what's going on there.

    The smells are familiar too. A lot of the other passengers seem to be on the second leg of their flight home from India and are feeling the effects of lots of travelling, bad food and no chance to wash.

    By Blogger redstar, at August 6, 2006 at 11:50 PM  

  • hamdilla al salame

    welcome to the land of freedom!!

    By Blogger BuJ, at August 7, 2006 at 2:24 AM  

  • 17:00 - 17:45 Waiting inline for Passport control check
    17:30 - 19:00 Did all the "registration work" at passport check


    how?

    By Blogger Harsha, at August 7, 2006 at 9:46 AM  

  • nzm - they were actually nice. I mean, from what i heard, I was a seriously concerned.

    But whole first time to the US registration bit was very easy. The immigration people were extremely friendly and courteous. Its just a lengthy process, also jumping on the Air Train from one terminal to another was tough to crack on my own :P

    Redstar, can't believe you do this trip all the time .. i feel sorry for you mate! :)


    Buj - its a nice place to visit ..

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 7, 2006 at 9:59 AM  

  • The ques at the passport check point were long.. and first time visiters go thru a process called Unseeners. its takes some time as you fill all sorts of forms...

    As for the 15 mins overlap, well, i wasn't really documenting this trip all the way, most of it was out of memory.. i will fix it :)

    By Blogger moryarti, at August 7, 2006 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home