Dubai Consumer Mirror

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Be extra nice to TGI Friday's staff at Mall of the Emirates

Not because otherwise they'll serve you sneezers or anything - a friend emailed me why:

Last weekend, my mom invite me and the kids for a mother-daughter-grandchildren get-together. We met at Mall of the Emirates and went to TGI Friday's. We ordered, had a good meal, mom paid the bill and left.

The next day, mom called telling me that she is missing Dhs 500 from her wallet, and thinks she was short-changed the day before at TGIF. She told me that she left a Dhs 1000 note to pay the Dhs 320/- bill. All she has on her was Dhs 150 and some change (we left a tip). I asked her to double check before we contact (or accuse) anyone. Later that evening, she was sure she didn't lose or spend that Dhs 500 anywhere.

The following day, I phoned TGIF and got to the manager. I explained to her the situation. Of course, I didn't remember the server name, table number, nor had a copy of the bill (who takes the bill with them anyways?!).

The manager started asking what we ordered, the value of the bill, any distinctive feature our server was wearing (she had a funny Dalmatian print hat), and worked with me on the phone until she retrieved a copy of our invoice. She said it was logged that day that we paid Dhs/500 and got the correct change. However, she said will call back again in 30 minutes.

About less than an hour later, she called and said that she went through her records and it shows that on that evening, upon closing the books, the cash registrar noted an extra Dhs 500/- over the total day earnings - and left a note of it. It seems the 1000 note was mistken for 500. So, the next day I went there, thanked everyone there and got my Dhs 500 back.


With these tough economic times, mall visitor foot fall on the downside, less tourists and lesser tips, I say hats off to the honest, hard working staff at TGIF at Mall of the Emirates.

8 Comments:

  • Nice story...

    I bought a shawarma yesterday at Ikea.
    To be exact I ordered 2 shawarmas and 2 sodas. 2 sodas that are self served at the machine
    I noticed on my bill later that i got charged only for 2 sandwiches.
    AED 5 went into the pocket of waiter. How many times does he do this a day?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

  • Many of us complain about the standard of customer service we get in Dubai, so the way TGIF handled this is really encouraging.

    By Blogger Seabee, at June 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

  • Nice encouraging story after a long time!!!

    We need to pass arond these kind of stories...

    By Blogger Dubai Photo Story, at June 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

  • its nice to hear some positive stories from time to time. lately, all we get is bad experiences.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

  • She should have told them to keep the 500 then :P

    By Blogger KJ, at June 17, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

  • Makes me feel good about people.

    By Blogger Dave, at June 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

  • Hmm of course it's nice to get the 500 back but TGI would have to give it back! I don't see anything particularly special about the story otherwise.

    And about the IKEA guy, I don't think he could be pocketing the extra cash as there are cameras all around.

    How about bills that add up to the nearest 'ten' on grocery bills, where you're shortchanged? For a major hypermarket, I'd imagine the daily amount would equate to at least 2 cashiers' monthly salaries...;-) I wouldn't be surprised if they have a fancy calculation to predict the probability of rate of shortchanging customers, and calculate salary expenditure based on that!

    By Blogger i*maginate, at June 18, 2009 at 1:11 PM  

  • Does a lot to restore ones faith in human nature.
    There may be bad people out there but there are a lot more good people.

    By Anonymous Mike, at July 6, 2009 at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home